Strange happenings

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I have been laughing so hard.  I'm sorry, but your bewildered catapult trip into catparenthood is just too too funny!  Now, that said, I did stop by your GoFundMe page.  Seems you have four cats.  For GOODNESS SAKE...do NOT install a cat flap!  You'll have 33 of them wandering around the place!
It's definitely been an experience!
lol  We're drawing the line at 4 though it seems like this group doesn't like any of the other stays so it works out very well.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We "pulled off the band-aid" today with Missy.  She came seeking refuge from the storm and knowing that we couldn't keep the door open I figured it was time to force the issue a little and trap her inside.  She was ok at first but then when she realized I'd closed the door she made a run for it - straight into the glass door

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ya know, this unexpected family of yours is really quite lovely.   Please don't stop posting about them.  Missy is, indeed, the picture of a disgruntled cat.  That face speaks volumes.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For sure! 

I know I'm definitely learning a lot through this process.  It was so hard to watch her trying to jump "over" the glass door but after 3-4 relatively short bursts of panic over a 2 hour period she settled.  She stopped scanning for a way out, stopped being on alert at every sound, and finally fell asleep for a couple hours now.

The big challenge is how to get to the bathroom without spooking her.  Both are upstairs and the only way she can get away from me is to go into the bedroom where the wife is.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Overall it ended up being a pretty good day.  We kept her inside for about 7 hours, I was able to get her to sit with me for a while (her at one end of the sauna, me in the middle).   Other than the first 2 hours she was very relaxed.  A little bit of mewing but rather sedate.  We kept Sissy inside the first night she was 'trapped' and that proved to be a bad idea - not a surface that wasn't sprayed so this time we decided to let Missy out around sunset when she started wanting to go on the prowl.  We'll repeat until she's comfortable coming and going like the rest of them.

Someone is developing a shoe fetish

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you planning on getting Jr an appointment soon for his neutering?  I see you almost have enough for a spay too.  :)  Loving your updates too.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks to the GoFundMe campaign someone contacted us about a possible subsidy which MAY allow us to cut somewhere between $150-210 ($37.50-52.50 per cat) from the medical expenses.  I'm just waiting to hear back from the organization for confirmation of our eligibility & final costs.  If it's confirmed we'll be setting up Juniors appointment with them asap, if not we'll be setting up the appointment with THS and that's 3-4 weeks out typically. 

We're taking Sissy to the vet today to get scanned for a microchip and to confirm whether or not she's pregnant which may affect what we have to do for her.  I suspect she's somewhere between 30-40 days along but not being a cat owner previously I really don't know.  To me she looks a bit like this

and the mild nesting behaviours (like the shoes) and constant attention seeking all sort of fit with being pregnant.  She won't give us access to her underbelly to check for pinking and she's not quite as fat as I would expect given she's been with us for 14 days now.  It could go either way.

Last edited by a moderator:

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can never have pasta with cheese again!  It's the first time I've had it since we discovered their love for dairy... omg.  Sissy instantly hops up on the couch beside me and starts vocally instructing me to giver her some cheese, Mamma gets behind me trying to reach over my shoulder as I take a bite.  Then she ends up on my lap, which is a first for her, while I try to hold the plate out of her reach.

Now that I'm done eating both kitties are parked beside the couch purring which is something only Sissy does.   Missy/Jr. are still on walkabout, though by the foot patterns in the snow it looks like Missy did come back in the middle of the night to get let in. 

It's actually amazing how consistent cats are in their patterns.  I can tell based on the path they take in the snow which cat it is.  Missy doesn't like the snow so she's always tucked in close to the building and goes under the chairs and up over the pile of flag stones (she has a harder time jumping up on top of the fence).  Longhaired black kitty does a U shape, Shorteared kitty does a V, Mamma won't jump in the garden so her path always skirts it... its really neat

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the subsidy goes through. And i hope shes not pregnant. But she looks like it. :/

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope the subsidy goes through. And i hope shes not pregnant. But she looks like it. :/
That picture is someone else's cat who is definitely prego... it's just kind of what Sissy feels like - she doesn't quite look that pronounced yet.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
I just discovered this thread and now I'm obsessed!  Please keep updating and posting pictures!  How wonderful to be adopted like that!  What an amazing journey!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was told at one point that the reason cats like shoes so much is that they smell somewhat like the herb, valerian (which is the root of the valerian plant, so might actually be more properly a spice, but I digress...).  It has a smell that most people compare to dirty socks, or to shoes, although to me it is more vinegary, and I kind of like it.  Valerian has an agitating effect on most cats, much like catnip, although it makes Hekitty drowsy.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You cant just schedule Sissys spay and microchip check at the same time? I know how stressful it is to get them in the carrier and you have to build up the trust afterwards again a bit. Might wanna make it count. Sissy might be preggo so you might wanna check but id do it in one trip for the rest.

Last edited:

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You cant just schedule Sissys spay and microchip check at the same time? I know how stressful it is to get them in the carrier and you have to build up the trust afterwards again a bit. Might wanna make it count. Sissy might be preggo so you might wanna check but id do it in one trip for the rest.
I think Sissy will be ok with it - we had to delay due to "Alpha Kitty" being kept late at work.  Sissy is good with most things (except touching her belly or a spot on her left side) as long as she gets pets.  Junior yowled bloody murder on the way to and from the car but loved the rest of it strangely - especially the car ride he was fascinated by what he saw in the window.  He actually sleeps inside the carrier on a regular basis.

There are a couple reasons for wanting to get her scanned first.  One is that by the time THS can spay her, if she is pregnant and as far along as I suspect she is, it will be too late in the pregnancy to abort (THS won't do late term aborts for the safety of the mother).  They also charge a $25 fee if you book and don't go through with the surgery.  We figure, go for the free scan, if they happen to notice she's pregnant or not there's no harm ;)

If we get the subsidy though it's a completely different story.  We got the forms today and it looks hopeful.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah okay. Sounds like things are going well all around. :) if the kittens are born you guys can surrender them to the no kill shelter once theyre old enough.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think so... we've got most of our bases covered I think, even for some possibilities that might not occur (like kittens... we have 3 homes interested if she does have them)

The thing I'm researching now is whether to get the cats all fixed at the same time or one at a time.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing wrong with all at once if the money is there. And carriers.