Strange food you've eaten or been offered . . .

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they actually serve real oysters with the "Rocky Mountain oysters"? Lol, that's kinda funny.

One restaurant around here serves Rocky Mountain oysters but I've never tried them and don't think I'm gonna start.
According to the signs they do.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've eaten many bugs. I like to roast grasshoppers and superworms with garlic and onion, and mix them in with plain spaghetti and butter. I've also tried eating roasted dubia roaches and isopods but wasn't fond of the taste much. Planning also on raising crickets for this! Or silkworms, or even grasshoppers.
crickets stink bad if you dont pick out any dead ones each day just a warning one of the main reasons i dont use them as feeders for my tarantulas the smell and the chirping

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are they still crunchy?
No. They have the texture of cooked beans. Soft but not mushy. Like anything, you can control the spice/salt amounts if you make them yourself. Gas stations sell them around here. They are in big crock pots and you ladle them into styrofoam cups. Some people sell them by the side of the road also where they sell produce and local honey.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, but they're not squishy either. Kind of like the texture of canned chickpeas,
Yum! Now I want to try them. Can I just boil some regular peanuts from a bag? There's no shell on them.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had blood sausage as a child....never again. And last year, I ate squid ink spaghetti. It tasted perfectly fine and had a normal texture, although did have a slight fishy essence/taste to it. The weird part was getting over eating black spaghetti...the visual was off putting.

The funny part was we used the sauce my FIL makes and gives us...he makes a good spaghetti sauce. And we took pictures of our dinner, with a text kinda freaking out as to why his sauce turned our spaghetti black...we had him going for a bit, but let him off pretty quick before he thru all the sauce he made out.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yum! Now I want to try them. Can I just boil some regular peanuts from a bag? There's no shell on them.
Sorry I didn't see this before. I don't think they're usually boiled without the shells, not sure what would happen if they were. I don't think you can, they'd really be just WAY too salty. Raw peanuts in the shell are what's traditionally used, although in this recipe they said they used unsalted roasted peanuts and they still came out fine. They can be made in the Instant Pot (you said your dad has one?) to save a lot of time, but the recipe has Crockpot and stovetop instructions too:
Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts - 365 Days of Slow Cooking and Pressure Cooking

Oh, but you can add shelled peanuts to your stir-fry. They're not exactly boiled peanuts, but cooked peanuts have a cool texture and add a nice flavor to Asian foods. Give it a try, I think you'll like it!

Last edited:

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh that reminds me. I tried snails once or should I say pieces of rubber in a shell with garlic sauce!
My thoughts exactly. I was really curious and had asked my friends when I went to visit Paris. Such a disappointment..
In Turkey we eat many kinds of internal organs. Almost everything except blood. These are cooked as soup, grilled or fried (consumed hot) or boiled (consumed cold afterwards) . and most are not weird for us though some people feel sick of the smell or the thought. There are also haggis-like dishes but they are more local.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've eaten goat meat (yuck) and sweetbreads (yuck and yuck). Sweetbreads are the thyroid gland of cattle, and Mother would stir them into scrambled eggs. She always did that, even though I told her many times I didn't like it. As a result, I thought that was the way all scrambled eggs were cooked and never had them until I was an adult.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had blood sausage on a trip in Ireland. Reminded me of kidney, which I do like if it is lamb kidney. Beef - the cow has been using it too long and the flavor is stronger.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve eaten a lot of exotic foods by some people’s standard. Lol It just depends on where you are at the time. Chicken feet. Oxtail. Mutton is actually not so Gamey the way my mom cooked it. Raw conch is one I really did not like because it was tough and wiggly! My Dad made us try it because it would have been impolite to refuse it. Brains and eggs. Tripe. Various reptiles. I have not had dried squid. Possum and raccoon. Cactus. Daylillies. I think I have had enough of exotic foods. Give me peanut butter on Toast! :lol: I do still enjoy trying fruits and flowers. Purple Violets are nice.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do still enjoy trying fruits and flowers. Purple Violets are nice.
How do those taste? I had fried pumpkin blossons in Italy, and while the idea of eating a flower was weird at first, they were superb!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
but I really want to try dried squid tentacles.
You can get dried cuttlefish at Asian stores and some grocery stores in the Asian section). I like it!
Raw conch is one I really did not like because it was tough and wiggly!
My mom tried raw sea cucumber once and says it's like chewing on an old tire :lol: .