Strange fear

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I replaced a pillow yesterday (the old pillow is completely worn out), and for some reason Willow has decided that the new pillow is completely terrifying, she cuddled up with me last night, but only when I put the old pillow back on the bed and moved the new pillow.

Why is she so afraid of the new pillow? Tigger's rubbed round it in front of her, so it does now have my scent and Tigger's scent on it.

I do have to throw the old pillow out, it's at the point of being unusable now.

Advice please? I don't want her to get so stressed out and fearful she pulls fur out again.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
It must have some scent on it that triggers a fear response. Does it have a pillowcase on it that you can wash? Can you let the pillow air out somewhere for a few days? Or you could try wrapping it in one of your t-shirts.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree it might be new smells from maybe from some sort of fabric spray protector that was added? Are the inner contents different? Is it significantly different in size/shape? Is it washable? If so, wash it and then wrap it in a towel/blanket she has used for a while. You could try taking the covering off the old pillow, if it can be removed, and temporarily wrapping it around the new pillow. The T-shirt is a good idea too!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Old pillows always have a scent to them and your cat associates this with you. The new one probably also has a scent but our noses aren’t as sensitive as a cat’s so your cat is finding this missing old smell and unusual new smell upsetting. I would toss the old, sleep with the new and ignore it if she doesn’t sleep with you for a few days. She will adjust to it and be back on your bed soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Willow cuddled with me last night, despite the new pillow being on the bed (new pillow is inside the pillowcase that I've been using)

If the new pillow stays inside the pillowcase (and stays still) last night she seemed to feel okay about it being at the top of the bed, she had her eye on it for at least some of the night (just in case it decided to get up and come after her)

Will she definately completely relax and sleep in bed with me, eventually?

She didn't actually sleep when she was cuddling with me last night, it was like she was protecting her meowmy (in her opinion) from the new pillow - just in case it decided to do anything by itself ?

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The pillow is a little bit bigger and fluffier than the old one

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It still sounds like a positive step in the right direction, no?
its definately a step in the right direction

i'm hoping she will come into bed tonight, she's currently sulking because earlier she decided to try to take on two crows outside - and they got away from her, so she's hiding in a sulk about the fact the crows wouldn't let her catch one to show her meowmy <3

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Good progress! Sounds like our Willows are very much alike. My Willow gets very nervous over anything new coming into the house and will act like each one may attack her at any moment. But if I don’t make a big deal out of it she always comes around and adjusts to the scary thing(s).

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's still not relaxed about it once the pillowcase is off, if it has that particular pillowcase she accepts it and will sleep in bed with me, is it worth trying to try her with a different pillowcase when i change the bed?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she is OK with the new pillow as long as it has the 'old' pillowcase on it, then leave it for now. For yourself use another pillow with a new pillowcase in order to change the sheets. Perhaps, once your scent is on the new pillowcase you can clean the other one.

You could also take a towel or other material that she has laid on and wrap that around the new pillow.