Strange eating with coughing/wheezing/gulping

Tigmimi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I recently posted about my cat vomiting after eating. This has mainly been cleared up with small meals throughout the day - maybe the occasional vomit once a week. She however is frequently licking her lips after eating (in a nauseous way) and then she does this strange thing where she takes a big gulp and then sticks her neck out. She will do it a couple of times (I think she is going to vomit but doesn't) and then just go back to normal. I also see her occasionally wheeze/cough afterwards maybe 10 mins after eating. At the moment I am seeing this maybe once a week or once a fortnight.

I have been so stressed and worried. I just came back from the vet for a second time who didn't really know what was wrong and said it could be many things.

1) A food allergy
2) Acid reflux
3) IBD
4) some kind of cancer

She wants me to try a new food and the acid reflux medication and if that doesn't work take her in for x rays and ultrasounds

But I am really not convinced by some of these suggestions. Is there anyone on here with experience in any of the suggestions who can give their opinion?? I feel like I really need some advice on here.

Many thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tigmimi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to add too that this has only happened since she had a dental in January. I can't help but feel something happened to her food pipe or something. Maybe its a coincidence - I don't know

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is possible that there was some irritation from the breathing tube that was inserted during anesthesia, but...that should have cleared up long since. Actually, any of the things the vet mentioned are certainly possible, with the simpler things being far more likely. I'm also wondering about the possibility of polyps. If there are nasal polyps VERY far back, almost in the throat, then eating could possibly trigger the gag reflex. That's a way-out-there chance, but worth exploring if nothing else can be determined.