Strange eating style

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
My young cat has had odd eating habits since we got her at 8 weeks old. She’s very picky to the point where we had to switch her food up every day. Raw, freeze dried, canned, flavor enhancers etc. even human food. She likes the food one time and then doesn’t. She’ll not eat 2 meals in a row, and then eat 3 bites, and that’s all. Jemima is very petite and small framed. She can’t afford to eat like this. So I began watching her eat. I noticed that eating seemed to be a chore for her. She throws her head back to keep it in her mouth. She’ll eat sideways. Sometimes Jemima will drop food from her mouth. She’ll also make little groaning breathy sounds. I’ve made a vet appointment for next Thursday because I’ve never seen a cat eat like this. Has anyone had this problem? How do you solve it? Can she have a defect? I’m just worried something is wrong with her.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would elevating the bowl help make eating easier? You don't need to buy a fancy bowl or feeder. I use a small box placed upside down to elevate Leroy's bowl.

Dental issues can cause a cat to eat oddly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I could try it. Jemima is just barely 1, seems like an older cat problem though. How does elevating her bowl help? Maybe her baby teeth didn’t fall out or something??

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cousin's cat had dental abscess twice before he was 15 months old. Some cats are just more prone to dental issues than the others. Going through a respiratory infection like calicivirus, or something like FIV alone might trigger oral problems too.

I will leave these few dental problems here:

Gingivitis in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

Gum Disease in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

Tooth Decay in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

Does she eat chunky wet food? Have you tried pate texture?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Elevating the bowl seems to help some cats eat easier because they're not stretching their neck down to reach the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
My cousin's cat had dental abscess twice before he was 15 months old. Some cats are just more prone to dental issues than the others. Going through a respiratory infection like calicivirus, or something like FIV alone might trigger oral problems too. And she was raised inside the house.

I will leave these few dental problems here:

Gingivitis in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

Gum Disease in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

Tooth Decay in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

Does she eat chunky wet food? Have you tried pate texture?
Thank you for these articles. She doesn’t have these symptoms. Her breath is fine; no drooling; grooming is good. She gets pate with crumbled fine freeze dried food. Her teeth are white and she’s got a clean bill of health. No infectious diseases. She came from a private home. Mother was healthy.