Strange Eating Habit Feedback

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
According to a number of threads on TCS many cats have the habit of taking the food from their bowl or plate and putting it on the floor before eating it. Maxine was one of these. I initially switched from a bowl to a plate (the whiskers theory) but that didn't make any difference. She also had this habit of leaning across the plate to eat from the far side, thus always dragging her chest hairs through the food. Not a big deal, but nevertheless, annoying.

I had always put her plate against a wall as that was the logical place to keep it out of the way. Recently, and I'm not really certain why, I started placing her plate away from the wall, where she had room to walk completely around it. Voila! No more dragging the food onto the floor, and now eating from the edges in.

Can't necessarily make sense of it, but I now have two less things to clean - the floor and her chest hairs.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for posting about this. As you point out, this issue comes up frequently so it's very helpful to have as much insight into it as possible. I know all of my cats have always eaten by moving around their bowl. Now I'm tempted to try an experiment to see what happens if I put the bowl against the wall. I suspect that Paul will just push it away while Chula will shove it all on the floor, just like your kitty did.

Anyway, I'm glad you found the answer. Anything that makes for less housework is a good thing! :biggrin: