Strange Biting Behavior?

Katykan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I am a first time cat owner so I would love some feedback on our little furbaby’s Behavior. I’ve been reading articles but still don’t seem to understand.

Our cat is 5 months old now. Got her when she was 4 months. She was taken early from her mother, but not her litter mates. She was being fostered by an outdoor restaurant when we got her; she was still with her litter mates but I’m not sure how much interaction she got with them because of all the activity going on at the restaurant all the time.

She’s a lovely kitten; affectionate and loves being around people. We really adore her. But she also loves to bite! I’ve seen aggressive biting and it’s never aggressive, but it’s still a behavior I want to kick. It’s especislly in the morning and night; it’s so hard to predict when she’s about to bite. She will show all the signs of a happy cat: tail up, whiskers forward, sometimes even purring, but then she will come up to you and go for a juicy human limb. It never draws blood; sometimes it’s more of a snap, but sometimes it feels more like a gnawing than anything (especially when she goes for my leg!)

I know that petting can induce biting if she is getting overstimulated, but this happens a lot when no one is even touching her either.

I’ve been using all of the non-physical discipline techniques: ignoring her, walking away, a firm “no”, redirecting with toys, but the behavior still persists. When I walk away from her and ignore her and return - she USUALLY will not bite again for a while. But it does happen again eventually.

Is this something she will just need to grow out of? Is it unrealistic for me to expect that a 5 month kitten will learn when not to bite? Or is there another method I can use that I’m not seeing? Any input is helpful, thank you!

Attachments

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep up with a loud enough to be startling "no" and try and play with her more with toys. If you are really getting injured, let us know as there are other things you can try that might work more quickly, but absent that, just stick with "No!" which should work eventually

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd agree with the kitten status and she will learn. Keep reinforcing. It usually takes two weeks of constant reactions for them to firmly link the action and reaction. My three year old still had moments when he will suddenly decide hiring is a thing but at his age is more of a reminder and he looks sheepish about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katykan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I've been trying to do the authoritative "NO" everytime she bites and she usually backs down either right away or after one more attempt. She doesn't try again for a while after that. Yesterday, I saw watched her ALMOST bite me twice, but then she decided against it, and pulled away before I even had to say NO. She knew what was coming :) I was so proud of her and praised her. I think that's a good sign.