Strange behaviour

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor stressed out kitty.

Today Holly has spent most of the day hiding under blankets.  In our bed.  Under our bed.  Under a blanket in a chair ( where I sat down and quickly got up because the chair was softer than I remembered).  Under the dresser.  She does it when it's cold (it's actually quite cute- she'll lay under the heating vent when it's on, you put a blanket over her and there's much purring).  But it was kind of warm today so I don't think she was cold.

It has kind of been a stressful month.  And I never thought she was the skittish one.  We had to put Jasper down in August- he was her best friend.  But we still had Sneaky.  Her behavior didn't radically change when we went from 3 cats to 2.

Well- we lost Sneaky about a month ago.  I think it was her heart- she died here before we were able to get her to the vet.  My oldest came home from college for Christmas Break (and won't go back for another week).  Grandma was here for 10 days.  We had a group of 10 people come over one night for a party.  Christmas decorations went up- and then down.  This was all within the last month. 

In the last week though- we've moved furniture (moved a computer out of one room b/c we got a new flat screen TV to go with the sound system dh got as a 15 year gift from his company- so it's now an entertainment room).  And today I put on the "scary" bathroom vent and exhaust vent in the kitchen b/c I had to clean the oven.  I kind of wait until it's really bad to put it on a clean cycle- I can't tell you how many times I've set off smoke detctors- that's how bad it is (it wasn't today thankfully).  She ran when I put it on this morning and wouldn't go near the kitchen for hours.

She's only 3.  Since we've now lost 2 animals to medical problems (within 6 months), I can kind of tell when they're at the stage where we need to have a discussion with the vet about putting them down.  Holly is nowhere near that.  I think she's just stressed and hiding today

was her way of coping
  Poor kitty.

She ate normally.  We've cut back on how much food we give her in one sitting (trying not to free-feed).  She's gotten kind of chunky- the other 2 animals we had did have weight problems and we'd like to not have weight problems with this one.  I gave her a quarter of a can of wet food (her favorite) and she ate it.  She played in the water fountain- drank water.  I cleaned her litter box and it was fine. 

I don't think it's medical...........

And the reason why I'm posting this is that the family is really, really REALLY wanting to go visit the shelter to adopt a "friend".  Jasper was her BFF, they'd groom each other, play with each other etc.  I think she'd be fine with a new cat (I'm thinking about a year old or younger)

Cheryl

Last edited:

calcifer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know too much about cats, but I think bringing a new one in is definitely a bad idea. Give her a little bit more time to recover from all that stress before you just add to it. Wait a couple of months and let her realize that the world isn't crumbling around her, then I think another cat might be good for her, since she was used to three being in the household anyway.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are not good with change.  Obviously some are better with it than others but as a rule, cats do not like change.  It is definitely a bad idea to bring in a new kitty while your current kitty is stressed out and dealing with a lot.  It'll only worsen the problem a lot.  If you want a new kitty, wait until she seems to be calmer and more adjusted to the changes she is dealing with.  Even small changes upset them- the moving of furniture.  You can try the Rescue Remedy and put it behind her ears.  It'll make them greasy but it's worth a shot.  I've never had much like with Feliway diffusers, but you can try that, too. 

Just reassure her as much as possible and no new changes, even small ones.  She's going through a lot in her mind.  I would definitely take her to the vet to rule out medical problems asap.  You have a duty to her to do so.  She needs to be checked over to make sure her weight gain isn't medical... Not just assumed by you it's not.  Cats hide illness and pain.  It's a survival mechanism.  Usually, when they can no longer hide it, it's really bad or too late. 

Do not get another cat right now.  I can't stress that enough.  It would be highly irresponsible.  You will be adding to her stress and creating a whole new mountain of problems. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just checking in to say that she's back to her normal self. 

She brought toys into the bedroom to wake us up this morning. 

Sat on the windowsill and decided she wanted to eat a fly that she'd caught (and I took it away telling her it wasn't a very healthy food)

She's slinking around the house acting like she owns it again

I guess putting on vent fans yesterday set the poor kitty over the edge.  We don't have to move any more furniture. 

I used Feliaway diffusers with Jasper.  Talk about a stressed out kitty.  That cat was nervous from day 1.  Hid in the garage for the first month he was here.  And he sprayed everywhere.  It got bad when we had people over.  It was bad when I'd work and be gone all day.  We had a house full of people at graduation- and that sent poor Jasper over the edge. 

Do you know that life events can change cat's personalities too?  My mom had this cat who was just evil.  She'd hiss at anyone that wasn't mom.  You'd walk by her and she'd swat you.  Then my dad passed away.  That cat had a 180 degree personality change.  She was friendly.  She did quit wanting to go outside (wouldn't go near the door).  She did the same thing that Holly does- when the doorbell rang she would RUN and hide.

Cheryl

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to be mean, but I am just very straightforward.  Some people appreciate it and some don't.  But, please don't take it the wrong way.

I am very skeptical of this.  Cats just don't "get over it" overnight.  She still needs to see a vet.  You have an obligation.  If you cannot afford it, definitely PLEASE do NOT get another cat.  That's twice a vet bill you can't afford.  This can be seen as illegal and animal cruelty or neglect.  You can go to jail if someone were to say something. 

I know you really want this new kitty thing to happen.  Your family has their hearts set on it.  But, trust me when I say it's a very bad idea right now.  It'll only create many new problems and you'll be on here asking for help on it.  After we told you not to do it.  Happens all the time.  Cats do not deal with change well.  She seems fine today.  Great.  That doesn't mean the problem magically disappeared. There is still so much you need to do to make sure she is good BEFORE you get another cat. 

Also, because they don't like change, cats are not always quick to bond.  Read all of the stories of people trying to get their new cat and older cat to get along right now.  How long it takes and all the effort.  She is stressed already, your problems will be much worse.  Please wait on the new kitty for some time.  Please get her to the vet asap.  If you cannot afford it, look up low cost or places to help you.  Many ASPCA's will help you as long as you want to do right by your kitty. 

sweetsadiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rescue Remedy is a good product to give to cats when stressed. Difficult to put directly in my cats mouths,so I put a little on their ear flaps ,nose -It really works their is a lot of info on the web about it if you interested.       Glad to hear your baby is back  to her being her self.