Strange Behaviour In Mumma Cat

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, so as some of you know I have 6 cats. 1 mother cat approximately 18months/2years and 5 babies just turned 8months old today. 4 of which are girls and 1 boy. Everyone has been spayed or neutered. They all got along wonderfully and mummy cat was amazing with them. However the last few weeks I've noticed that although she still groom's them and sleeps with them often, she has also taken to randomly attacking them if they cross her path inside the house. A few of them occasionally try to dry nurse from her usually at night, sometimes she allows it for a moment then kangaroo/bunny kicks them to stop. Other times she growls at them and bites their neck. This is usually followed by grooming. It's the random attacks in the house when they walk by that concerns me. Is this just her telling them to move out (not going to happen, no where for them to go). Or could it be something else? She has also become more affectionate with my husband and I in approximately the same time period. If she hadn't been spayed I would have thought she could be pregnant but my husband watched her spay surgery, she can't be pregnant. The only other changes are that I went away for a few weeks which is when this started and also a neighbourhood Tom cat has started hanging around our garden making strange noises. In fact he was here around the same time last year which is when the mother cat first appeared as a kitten on our door step. She later disappeared and then reappeared pregnant a few months later. She moved in, gave birth and became part of the family. Any suggestions as to how to stop this behaviour? Any ideas what it might be? Thanks and sorry for the long post!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she is trying to end nursing - or requests for nursing- from her kittens. Basically telling the, they are adults now,and to,knock it off. This is common with older kittens and will eventually stop. I would just let her be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think she is trying to end nursing - or requests for nursing- from her kittens. Basically telling the, they are adults now,and to,knock it off. This is common with older kittens and will eventually stop. I would just let her be.
Thanks. But she does it when they don't even try to nurse. Like when they walk past her or at feeding time...