Strange Behavior

Nursebetsy74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 female cats had kittens together today and are sharing parenting, they are mother and daughter. The strange behavior I dont understand is we also have a male cat from the last litter that is about 4 months old, the mother cat wont leave him alone she comes and drags him into the closet where the girls had their kittens and wont let him leave, when he tried to get away she chased him down and drags him back in.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would seperate the male from the last litter, he is nearing the age where he can get his mom and sister pregnant again right away. These cats should all be indoors and seperate from intact members of the opposite sex. I am rather alarmed that the one female's last litter is only 4 months and she is pregnant again?? Do you need some help finding low cost spay and neuter clinics? They are all over, however in other countries maybe not as easy to get to. But they cannot keep reproducing so much for their health and your sanity, this will get out of control fast, it already sounds to be heading that way.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Her nurturing instincts are set on High right now. And he is still her kitten, so...

But I agree with jen jen . Spaying and neutering are in order, and if finances are an issue, we will help you find assistance. Not only will there be no more kittens (and constant bearing is very debilitating for a queen), but it will also help protect from several hormone-driven cancers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nursebetsy74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would seperate the male from the last litter, he is nearing the age where he can get his mom and sister pregnant again right away. These cats should all be indoors and seperate from intact members of the opposite sex. I am rather alarmed that the one female's last litter is only 4 months and she is pregnant again?? Do you need some help finding low cost spay and neuter clinics? They are all over, however in other countries maybe not as easy to get to. But they cannot keep reproducing so much for their health and your sanity, this will get out of control fast, it already sounds to be heading that way.
The male kitten has been neutered and we have moved and there is no further exposure to male cats they both got out at our last house just before we moved so that isnt an issue, I am just trying to figure out why the mama cat wants the young male child by her side

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you plan to spay the girls when their kittens have weaned? It’s important even though they are indoor only.

Your cat has motherly instincts. Keep the male kitten away for now. He is much too big.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nursebetsy74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks I will make an appnt to get the girls fixed

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am just trying to figure out why the mama cat wants the young male child by her side
Just that overactive nurturing instinct. It is in high gear because of the new litter, and she fails to make a distinction between the two litters. I've watched ferals shepherding kittens that I KNOW were from two different litters, teaching the en masse to hunt.