Strange Attack

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue and I walked out the door this morning right on dawn, him going for a pee , me getting my phone from the car.
As we stepped out the door a ginger white cat launched an attack right at Blue.
Dont even know where the cat come from..he was just there.
It was no match with size and weight, Blue pinned him almost instantly and had him by the back of the neck. Blue let go and the cat fled..all over in a split second.The cat and I were still almost in the same positions we were in when we stepped out the door.
Blue wasn't even upset about it either..like he swatted a bug, just gave a few huffs and sat looking at the fence where the cat disappeared.
Just wondering if they have been watching each other through the windows at night or something and this triggered a territory thing.
Quite a puzzle as this cat had a red collar and bell so not a feral.
First cat I have seen around here for years too except for some indoor cats down the road.
Blue staying inside for next few days.
Not used to this sort of thing anymore..lol

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat probably lives close by and considers your yard part of his territory, meaning he wanted to drive Blue away. It seems to be a pretty common thing. In general in my experience, you get two kinds of cat visitors: those that are curious and might want to play, but might become hostile if met with hostility, and those that are there to cause trouble.

Check Blue for wounds just in case, even though he insta-owned the other cat. Blue definitely might have run ins with this cat in the future if he spends a lot of time outside -- a few days off won't likely solve the issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if this other cat is lost and was sleeping on the door mat and he/she attacked out of fright when we suddenly appeared out the door..
Strays and other cats are pretty rare around here.
Will see if it shows up again that's why keeping Blue inside..not that it makes a lot of difference, he prefers inside anyway.
Just as well Blue had all his shots last weekend too...no wounds i could find.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the other cat running away so soon I would say the attack was more out of surprise and fright. The other cat may be a stray and smelled food and comfort from your house. I'm so glad everything turned out OK, Blue could have took off after him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue was sort of surprised as me I think.that's why he didn't chase..although I doubt whether he would if I am there.
.I am getting more convinced its lost or an indoor that's escaped.
Blue is haunting a window at the moment, 10.30 at night here so maybe its around again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You could try to get a pic of this cat and set up posters in your area asking if anyone has lost a cat to start with - and talk with neighbors as well. The more you're convinced it is lost or has escaped, visiting local rescue centers and vet offices with the flyer/poster might help you find its owner. Local neighborhood web sites and lost/found pet sites would be a couple of other places to look to see if someone has reported a lost cat. It could also be a new neighbor, recently moved in, that brought their indoor/outdoor cat with them, so you could even check for listing of houses sold recently in your neighborhood.