Storm Ophelia And A Stray Cat

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a new temporary addition to my house. He's a stray who I haven't named yet 'cause I don't want to get too attached. My actual cat has taken a huge dislike to this kitty, not surprisingly, as kitty is an un-neutered male, with my Scraggles being a neutered male. I've been trying to keep the peace by feeding kitty outside etc., but sometimes allowing him in the house, with windows and doors open as escape routes, swapping times that they're in different rooms and never forcing their company on each other.

And now we have Storm Ophelia. We've been warned that it's going to be our worst storm in 50 years. A travel warning was issued late last night and many places, including where I work, have shut for the day and we've been told to keep off the roads. All vets etc. are encouraging all pets to be kept indoors. I was going to have to possibly leave kitty outside with my Scraggles inside, but now that I don't have to work, I've decided to keep them both inside for the day, with all windows and doors closed. If I've made the right decision shall remain to be seen.

At the moment kitty is busy chasing its tail up and down the stairs and Scraggles at his perch by the window. I'm keeping this as his safe space.

The rain is getting heavier and the wind is picking up by the minute. I'm not terribly prepared for this day – I have cat food but I had I known there was going to be a travel warning and that I would've been here for the day I'd have prepared better. My stash of cat treats is running low – I've been using them as bribery for Scraggles. Anyways, if I've to stay all day in the bedroom with Scraggles I've no problem with that – I think this is where he feels most secure and he likes human company. Kitty can wander about and keep himself company I suppose.. He's a precocious yoke of a thing, but happily plays with all of Scraggles' toys and hopefully that'll keep him entertained for a while anyway...

Hmm... if kitty were a female Storm Ophelia would be the perfect name for him...

If you've any recommendations to help us all keep our sanity I'd love to hear them!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope your storm has passed without you losing power or suffering other damage.

It's great that you've brought the stray in for safety's sake.

Can you get this cat neutered?

You would be doing this cat a giant favor to calm his hormones.

Eventually he may take off in search of a mate and get wounded in a cat fight otherwise.

Neutered males make very sweet pets!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys - we're ok so far - but the brunt has yet to spread to where I live - so we're not out the other side of it yet.

Both cats are asleep and the moment - it's when they wake up that things get a bit hairy. Scraggles will start growling and tail swishing - and then new kitty will think his tail is a toy which really doesn't help the situation. I'm also a bit worried about the kitty litter situation - new kitty has commandeered the tray for himself - and I don't have enough litter left to fill another one - I'm hoping Scraggles can hold it in...

I can definitely get kitty neutered - I just have to wait till I can legally prove I've done everything to find the owner. I've put up notices on social media and hoping to get him checked for a chip this week.

I do like the idea of Storm for a name - it certainly suits his personality. And because you guys love photos... :hearthrob: :greenpaw:

IMG_20171016_115403.jpg

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
So you are in Ireland scraggles scraggles ? Stay safe! It's such a weird thing to be happening!

At a pinch, finely ripping up newspaper and adding it to the remaining litter might see you through.. perhaps you're through the worst of it?
He's a very handsome boy. I'm sure things will settle once he's neutered. ;)

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes! In Ireland! - and the two cats managed to pull through relatively unscathed..!

We are lucky enough, though - the east coast so didn't get quite as battered as the rest of the country. We're not used to this type of storm in here so the government essentially advised the country to shut down so no choice but to hunker down and ride it out. Thanks so so much for the help and concern!

I feel so sorry for Scraggles - I think he feels he's being ousted and there's quite a bit of growling and hissing - but kitty needs shelter... I'm hoping to get him checked for a chip this weekend - I'd like to do it sooner but just won't get the chance. And then we'll take it from there I suppose...

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Will you keep him if he doesn'st have a chip? I'm thinking it's likely he won't since he's not neutered.
I'm sure they would get on very well if he was.

I can't get over those storms! It's just way out of line for Ireland and Britain to be getting this kind of thing. I'm glad you're safe. :)

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Will you keep him if he doesn'st have a chip?
I'm going to have to see... If were only up to me then I would 100% be keeping this little mite. However, there are two miffed males who are 100% against the idea - Scraggles and my partner. :(

I too think Scraggles' animosity would be lessened with getting kitty neutered - but would my partner's..?!

I really am heartbroken about not being able to keep him - he is just such a little messer and has already found a place in my heart.

If I do have to find a home for him it would have to be with someone I know - a relation or friend - I don't think I could just trust anyone with him...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope you realize that it takes time for everyone to adjust to one another. It doesn't happen overnight or in a week. It can take a few months.

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, absolutely - it's not so much Scraggles that I'm so worried about - I think if we could work it out we would. I certainly would be willing to put the time in. But it's the second male of the house, my partner, who's totally against having a second cat - one is enough for him unfortunately...

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
If he were neutered and the two of them became mates (which they could), would he be OK with it then? (I mean neutering scraggles, not your partner.. that came out very badly!!) :paperbag:

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for taking care of the stray:catrub:

It's sounds like they both did okay! The stray most importantly survived the storm.

I'm sure you will find him a great companion. His situation is similar to how I acquired one of my cats. Her name's Flavia.

An acquaintance of mine was feeding her. She watched her grow up in the wild as a kitten with the mom. She curiously admired them from a distance. As she watched, Flavia grew up closely with her mom. It was a whole summer of the duo together. And then Winter came. Flavia's mother disappeared. And poor Flavia would show up shivering scared at her doorstep in the snow and cold.
She already had 2 cats and couldn't take her in and that's when I came in. And we both couldn't be happier :redheartpump:

Wish you all the best, xoxo

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he were neutered and the two of them became mates (which they could), would he be OK with it then? (I mean neutering scraggles, not your partner.. that came out very badly!!) :paperbag:
LOL Mani, that made me laugh!

So I brought him (the cat) to get checked for a chip this morning - and as I think we'd suspected he's not chipped...

So it's a bit up in the air what I'm going to do. My partner works away quite often and comes back sometimes for weekends - (leaving me to bond with kitty(..!)), I guess my game plan at the mo is just trying to play it cool, take it day by day and just hope maybe kitty can stay...

It'll probably come to a head when his current contract ends I suppose and he's home more often.

The vet recommended waiting a month to see if anyone comes forward for kitty. If no-one does by then I'll be booking him in to get neutered - I'd almost be happy for him to get neutered sooner especially as it can take even more time for the hormones to flush themselves out, but if legally I suppose I have to wait I have to wait. In the meantime, I got some plug in Feliway while at the vet, I've never used it before but worth trying I think...

Even if I were thinking of giving kitty to a caring home I can't really for a month I suppose - making it even more difficult if it does come to that..!

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I've been known to get a boy neutered even when he was owned, but you didn't hear me say that. ;)

Did the vet say anything else about general health? Probably not.. whenever I get cats checked for chips, that's all they do.

Please keep us posted!:)

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was thinking I should have prepared myself for the vet a bit better maybe with my dates to have worked out an earlier neutering - I'll know better for next time :lol:

The vet actually gave him a visual once over, listened to his heart etc. and has deemed him as healthy and robust - also because we figured that kitty is probably just about a one year old he vaccinated him, as even if he has been vaccinated before it was probably when he was born so more than likely due anyway. I've to see how things go and maybe get the booster shot in three weeks if owner hasn't come forward. Three weeks will be a month since his arrival so I might just use that as a yardstick and, if he's still around, book him in then for the whole nine yards of neutering, microchipping etc..

Kitty has been on the go since around 05:00 this morning - I don't blame him, that's around the time I get up for work during the week so he thinks it's play time - not helping the situation though with my partner, who would like a Sunday lie-in... This kitty doesn't really walk anywhere - it's flying leaps to get where he wants to go - up the wardrobes, up the bed posts, up and down the stairs while chasing his tail. I made myself a coffee and entertained him in the kitchen for a while in the hope of tiring him out a bit... Nope, he's still running around like a maniac.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking I should have prepared myself for the vet a bit better maybe with my dates to have worked out an earlier neutering - I'll know better for next time :lol:

The vet actually gave him a visual once over, listened to his heart etc. and has deemed him as healthy and robust - also because we figured that kitty is probably just about a one year old he vaccinated him, as even if he has been vaccinated before it was probably when he was born so more than likely due anyway. I've to see how things go and maybe get the booster shot in three weeks if owner hasn't come forward. Three weeks will be a month since his arrival so I might just use that as a yardstick and, if he's still around, book him in then for the whole nine yards of neutering, microchipping etc..

Kitty has been on the go since around 05:00 this morning - I don't blame him, that's around the time I get up for work during the week so he thinks it's play time - not helping the situation though with my partner, who would like a Sunday lie-in... This kitty doesn't really walk anywhere - it's flying leaps to get where he wants to go - up the wardrobes, up the bed posts, up and down the stairs while chasing his tail. I made myself a coffee and entertained him in the kitchen for a while in the hope of tiring him out a bit... Nope, he's still running around like a maniac.
:wave3:Has he calmed down? (Kitty & partner :lol::lol2:)

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Partner has headed back to work...

But the two kitties gave me this short lived but beautiful moment of joy and contentment earlier :catrub:- maybe, fingers and paws crossed, the Feliway is kicking in :dunno: :greenpaw:

IMG_20171022_150814.jpg

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Partner has headed back to work...

But the two kitties gave me this short lived but beautiful moment of joy and contentment earlier :catrub:- maybe, fingers and paws crossed, the Feliway is kicking in :dunno: :greenpaw:

View attachment 201418
Oh how sweet :cloud9: And Scraggles outstretched paw, so cute :tongue: I wonder if it is a touch of reassurance for Kitty or a 'this is close enough' touch but either way it is wonderful sign. Kittys markings are beautiful and as usual Scraggles is magnificent :touched: