Stories of successful adult cat intros?

Katliterary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m three weeks into slowly introducing our 5 year old resident cat to our 4 year old new cat (both neutered males). Our resident cat warmed up to the new cat within a few days (always wants to sniff him, play with him, and be near him). The new cat wants nothing to do with him, and hisses and growls when he gets too close. They are mostly kept separate, and we have gotten to the point where they can eat, play, and sleep separately within a few feet of each other. But the hissing and growling from the resident cat continues with all other supervised interaction.

Has anybody gone through a similar experience? Have you successfully introduced two adult cats, and how long did it take for them to get comfortable with one another? Did they ever become friends (playing together, sleeping together, etc)? I know that three weeks is still very early, but I worry that the new cat will not become the playmate that our resident cat wants, and the new cat will not get the peace and quiet that he wants!

I love reading about other people’s stories and think it would help give me some perspective :) if there is an existing thread on this, apologies for the redundancy!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
3 weeks is a minimal amount of time in the grand scheme of introductions. Be patient :)

If they are eating/playing/sleeping near each other things are going pretty ok. The hissing and growling will become less frequent as time goes by and the scent of the newcomer intermingles into the household and the resident cat begins to realize he's no threat. But it could take a few months to happen.

From the successful stories, we introduced an adult female cat of about 3-5 years estimated to a male adult of 9 years old. She was very shy, not threatening to him at all but very timid and it took a couple of months for her to feel comfortable in our home let alone around him. He, was hissy/growly to her at first too but little by little that stopped.

I'd say it took a few months before they were really calm around each other and in the end, really become good friends. Never snuggle type friends (although she tried a few times!) but they always played with each other, slept very near each other, groomed each other, and would sit happily staring out windows alongside each other for hours. They truly were connected.

When he passed at nearly 18 years old last February, she clearly felt his loss and was not herself for several weeks. It was as hard to watch her mourn him as it was for ourselves losing him. She's now acclimating to a new friend, albeit much younger than her and this too took a few months. It's very normal and rarely happens quickly although sometimes you get lucky and it does but I'd say that's really not the usual circumstance.

KarenF

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, please share your stories! I'm on month 8 (to be fair, I've been proceeding very very slowly, out of fear of screwing it up) of introductions, and I'd really like to know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katliterary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
3 weeks is a minimal amount of time in the grand scheme of introductions. Be patient :)

If they are eating/playing/sleeping near each other things are going pretty ok. The hissing and growling will become less frequent as time goes by and the scent of the newcomer intermingles into the household and the resident cat begins to realize he's no threat. But it could take a few months to happen.

From the successful stories, we introduced an adult female cat of about 3-5 years estimated to a male adult of 9 years old. She was very shy, not threatening to him at all but very timid and it took a couple of months for her to feel comfortable in our home let alone around him. He, was hissy/growly to her at first too but little by little that stopped.

I'd say it took a few months before they were really calm around each other and in the end, really become good friends. Never snuggle type friends (although she tried a few times!) but they always played with each other, slept very near each other, groomed each other, and would sit happily staring out windows alongside each other for hours. They truly were connected.

When he passed at nearly 18 years old last February, she clearly felt his loss and was not herself for several weeks. It was as hard to watch her mourn him as it was for ourselves losing him. She's now acclimating to a new friend, albeit much younger than her and this too took a few months. It's very normal and rarely happens quickly although sometimes you get lucky and it does but I'd say that's really not the usual circumstance.
Thank you so much for your reply! It’s wonderful and encouraging that your cats became so close :) Our new cat seems a bit shy as well, but we have already seen good progress so I hope little by little he will feel more comfortable. I know that the hissing and growling is probably out of fear or anxiety. Our resident cat is very outgoing and quickly loves everybody he meets, so we’re not used to having a timid cat!

I typically hear about resident cats having the most trouble adjusting to new cats, so I wonder if it’s unusual that our new cat is the one who is slower to come around.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I typically hear about resident cats having the most trouble adjusting to new cats, so I wonder if it’s unusual that our new cat is the one who is slower to come around.
I think when the cats are well beyond kitten-hood, the new cat has two things to deal with - 1.) a unfamiliar new home, and 2.) a unfamiliar cat in that new home. The resident cat just has to deal with a new cat - in their already familiar home. When the resident cat is the more reluctant of the two is usually when the resident cat is a lot older, has been 'alone' for at least a while, and/or has a much younger, if not a kitten, to deal with.

mandmcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We introduced a 3 year old to our 1 year old cat. Not quite adult adult but not kittens either! The 3 year old took probably I would say 3 months or so before she was really comfortable in the house. She would spend anywhere from 2-3 weeks in a new hiding spot as she slowly progressed her way from upstairs bedroom to downstairs living area.

Our resident cat ended up being pretty territorial and loved to chase her away. Definitely some tufts of fur flying at times and loud yowling. But it’s month 10 and they can sleep near each other now. On rare occasions even touching (super rare). They can also play with each other. The telltale sign was when the new cat was able to chase the old cat. We don’t think they’ll ever get to be snuggle close but it seems like things are mostly settled now. Resident cat still likes to paw the new one in the face but what can you do hahah.

I think once your new cat gets settled in the house it’ll go much smoother!

JulesB86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm on month 8 of introducing male cat to resident female cat (both neutered).. it was very touch and go for at least the first 3 months where I was honestly wondering if I should try rehome the new guy as things were pretty dyer between the two of them but then slowly but surely things have massively improved. Now, they chase each other around the apartment about 8 to 10 times per day back and forth (the female is 100% the boss and outsmarts him at every turn but still hisses at him when he tries to chase her back haha), they will eat at the same time, sleep on same couch (never touching and I don't think they will ever be that type of cat to snuggle together) but they pretty much act like a typical brother and sister now. Time is the best thing you can give them, ensure they have their own spaces they can retreat to when they have enough of each other.
One thing I should add is when we had to travel, we left them together at month 3 in the apartment and had a pet sitter come in twice per day to take care of them and I feel it helped somewhat as they had each other for company while we were gone for a few weeks.

Anyway just give them time, things should improve. :)

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted a 12 year old female cat in November, brought her home to my two residents, 2 years old (female) and 5 years old (male.) All are fixed. The two residents are buddies and play and chase each other, but don't snuggle.
The 2 residents are still getting used to New Cat. They don't want her to get any closer than about 6 feet away, they hiss and growl. She is not bothered by them at all but minds their warnings.
No one fights, no aggression. So it's still being worked on. It's going to take a long time.
Cats can take their own sweet time about things.
JulesB86 JulesB86 above gives me hope that they will eventually sleep on the same couch! And be near each other. I don't care if they snuggle, will be happy with coexisting in the same areas. I noticed the same thing, that when I went out of town for 6 days things had taken a step forward on my return!

Katliterary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm on month 8 of introducing male cat to resident female cat (both neutered).. it was very touch and go for at least the first 3 months where I was honestly wondering if I should try rehome the new guy as things were pretty dyer between the two of them but then slowly but surely things have massively improved. Now, they chase each other around the apartment about 8 to 10 times per day back and forth (the female is 100% the boss and outsmarts him at every turn but still hisses at him when he tries to chase her back haha), they will eat at the same time, sleep on same couch (never touching and I don't think they will ever be that type of cat to snuggle together) but they pretty much act like a typical brother and sister now. Time is the best thing you can give them, ensure they have their own spaces they can retreat to when they have enough of each other.
One thing I should add is when we had to travel, we left them together at month 3 in the apartment and had a pet sitter come in twice per day to take care of them and I feel it helped somewhat as they had each other for company while we were gone for a few weeks.

Anyway just give them time, things should improve. :)
Thank you for sharing, that’s so encouraging! My husband and I like to travel, so we also thought it would be nice for our cat to have company while we’re away :)

Ashleigh Kate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are also in the early stages of introducing our cats. My partner and I recently moved in to a new place together bringing my cat (female, 2 years) and he’s cat (male, 5 years) with us. We’re roughly three weeks in and they are now able to eat and (mostly) live in the same space. Initially it was my cat who initiated contact, trying to play with my partners who was timid and scared of her touching him but he slowly warmed to her and has now started approaching and trying to initiate play with her, which she has not taken well (complete hypocrite) and will hiss and growl whenever he gets too close. I still worry but I try to remember how quickly they’ve progressed since first meeting.

It isn’t my cats first time meeting new animals, she’s met and eventually befriended 4 dogs and 2 kittens but it always quite standoffish to begin with (which is annoying that my partners cat who’s always been alone has warmed up faster than she has but what can you do ?)

Joan M

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I brought in a 5 year old female (the shelter said she was two but the vet disagreed) and I had a male who was about 8. The first six weeks she spent in my bedroom with the door shut. Reuben, my male, camped outside the door. Bella, my new one, stayed on my bed. Then I put a child gate in the door so they could see each other. Reuben puffed up when he saw her and she would run under the bed. After a week or so, I took down the gate to see if they would get along. She came downstairs, Reuben had a fit and chased her back up, and that went on for a while. She really wanted to be downstairs with us, though, so she kept coming down. After a couple of weeks, he started tolerating her. Within a few more weeks, they were eating side by side and sometimes sitting on the same sofa. Bella was very sweet, but Reuben always let her know who was top cat. They sat together and looked out the windows together, but he would still swat at her from time to time. When she died, though, he was never the same. He wandered around the house yowling for her pretty much every night. He was just too tough to show her his soft side. I actually wrote a story about it a few years ago, you might be able to get it from the library. It's a Chicken Soup for the Soul volume called The Cat Did What? and my story was titled 'Introducing a Second Cat.'

Katliterary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought in a 5 year old female (the shelter said she was two but the vet disagreed) and I had a male who was about 8. The first six weeks she spent in my bedroom with the door shut. Reuben, my male, camped outside the door. Bella, my new one, stayed on my bed. Then I put a child gate in the door so they could see each other. Reuben puffed up when he saw her and she would run under the bed. After a week or so, I took down the gate to see if they would get along. She came downstairs, Reuben had a fit and chased her back up, and that went on for a while. She really wanted to be downstairs with us, though, so she kept coming down. After a couple of weeks, he started tolerating her. Within a few more weeks, they were eating side by side and sometimes sitting on the same sofa. Bella was very sweet, but Reuben always let her know who was top cat. They sat together and looked out the windows together, but he would still swat at her from time to time. When she died, though, he was never the same. He wandered around the house yowling for her pretty much every night. He was just too tough to show her his soft side. I actually wrote a story about it a few years ago, you might be able to get it from the library. It's a Chicken Soup for the Soul volume called The Cat Did What? and my story was titled 'Introducing a Second Cat.'
We are also in the early stages of introducing our cats. My partner and I recently moved in to a new place together bringing my cat (female, 2 years) and he’s cat (male, 5 years) with us. We’re roughly three weeks in and they are now able to eat and (mostly) live in the same space. Initially it was my cat who initiated contact, trying to play with my partners who was timid and scared of her touching him but he slowly warmed to her and has now started approaching and trying to initiate play with her, which she has not taken well (complete hypocrite) and will hiss and growl whenever he gets too close. I still worry but I try to remember how quickly they’ve progressed since first meeting.

It isn’t my cats first time meeting new animals, she’s met and eventually befriended 4 dogs and 2 kittens but it always quite standoffish to begin with (which is annoying that my partners cat who’s always been alone has warmed up faster than she has but what can you do ?)
That is interesting that your partner’s cat warmed up faster! It’s hard not to worry about how everything will work out and how long it will take. Our first cat has always been alone, too, but it only took him 3 days to decide the new guy was his best friend. The new guy still doesn’t see it that way! It’s been exactly a month and they are able to live in close proximity to each other, but the new cat still hisses and growls when the resident cat tries to play with him. I think our resident cat also never really learned “cat etiquette” and is having a hard time understanding boundaries! But we’ve seen a lot of improvement over the past month, so hopefully things will keep improving.

Katliterary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will definitely look into that book, I would love to read the whole story! Our new cat is also wanting to break free from his room (he just ripped out some of the carpeting!) so we think it’s time to give him free roam. Our cat doesn’t seem to care about being “top cat” as long as the new guy plays with him... still TBD :) it will be interesting to see how it works out. I am hoping that even if they don’t seem like best friends, they will still benefit from having one another’s company.