Storage of dry cat food?

Meralake

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like a lot of the country, the heat has snuck up very early and quickly. I was taken by surprise a bit as I don't watch the news. I have been storing dry cat food in the garage during fall/winter/spring as my garage doesn't get too cold and it was a nice temperature. However, the last two weeks has been quite hot and the garage got pretty hot. I would guess the 90s. I live in a dry area, not humid though it feels more humid in my garage.

I had surgery and mobility is very limited so I didn't think about the heat until recently.

Should I toss the dry food I had in the garage? I have one cat so it also won't get eaten very quickly.

I've tried looking online for guidance but haven't found much. I do recall that growing up, we had several cats and dogs - all outside animals - and their food was kept outside in the garage as well. I don't recall any problems but I wasn't paying as much attention as a 15 year old as I do now, plus I stocked up a bit on the food, whereas we didn't stock up much back then, so not sure the length of time before my current cat would eat it is a thing or not?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would toss the dry food to be safe or donate it to a rescue that takes care of ferals.

You can store dry food in the fridge or freezer to help it last longer, at least a few months past the "best by" date on the bag. Empty the bag into food safe containers first.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with the above, but if you do store new food in containers, hang onto the bag for validation of the best buy date, as well as for purposes such as a recall.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meralake

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for your responses! I will donate it as it kills me to waste it, lol. Do ferals have stonger stomachs or is it more now about using it up quick?