Stopping cat from getting in trash can

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
OK, Since Monet has a habit of eating through my plastic trash bags, I've decided to spend $65 on a heavy duty trash can to prevent the cats from getting in the trash. And I'm tired of leaving trash bags outside my door until I'm ready to go out to throw it out.

Night 1 of owning it.. woke up to find it laying on its side and trash eaten. UGH!!!!

I can't hide the can (or any trash) under cabinets as there's no room for them (tiny galley kitchen, plus Monet figured out how to open the cabinets)

Here's a pic of the can and the surrounding areas. Sccaat would be near impossible to use.. does anyone have any suggestions?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried putting it in the cabinet, but baby proofing the cabinet?  I know  you said there isn't much room (I've lived in NYC in a ridiculously small studio at one point, so I understand the constraints you're talking of), and that's kind of inconvenient for the humans, having to unlatch the cabinet each time you need to throw something in the garbage but it's much better than having spilled waste all over the kitchen floor every morning.  

Or maybe there's some kind of can which can't be knocked over as easy; i.e. is weighted heavier on the bottom.  Simple Human makes some really great products, perhaps they have one.

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a tall tote of some kind, like a laundry hamper maybe, something with a lid if possible. Put heavy rocks on the bottom to weigh it down. Put the trash container into this hamper.

May sound kind of extreme, but it sounds like you have an extreme problem, so extreme measures are needed!

Or you could try bolting the trash can to the corner there. Hooks in the wall on either side, maybe at two levels, then some kind of cording attached to the hooks to hold it in place.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried putting it in the cabinet, but baby proofing the cabinet?
This is the solution that came to my mind as well.  I know it sounds inconvenient and takes up cabinet space, but that is what I would probably do.   I know how persistent cats can be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried putting it in the cabinet, but baby proofing the cabinet?  I know  you said there isn't much room (I've lived in NYC in a ridiculously small studio at one point, so I understand the constraints you're talking of), and that's kind of inconvenient for the humans, having to unlatch the cabinet each time you need to throw something in the garbage but it's much better than having spilled waste all over the kitchen floor every morning.  

Or maybe there's some kind of can which can't be knocked over as easy; i.e. is weighted heavier on the bottom.  Simple Human makes some really great products, perhaps they have one.
I dont want to drill holes in the apartments property.. I did try the sticky ones, but it ripped the paint right off the cabinet and I had to replace it. Child proofing has been tried and failed! lol.

Same with screwing into walls. 

The trash can IS Simple Human, lol. I'll try putting weight in the bottom and see if it helps. Otherwise, I'll but the ssccaat on top when I am not around.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This would probably be only a minor inconvenience, but couldn't you accomplish this with a bungee cord or two?  You could hook the bungee cord so that the garbage can won't open if they knock it over.  They might lose interest then.  And could you hook up a second bungee cord to somehow hold it to the door knob, at least at night?

Last edited:

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is Monet knocking it over, or actually figuring out how to open the lid?

I've had to resort to storing my trash can in my bathroom behind the closed door when I'm not immediately supervising it. :lol3: I finally got one with a push button on the lid, and put a heavy weight in the bottom - cats can't tip it over & they can't open the lid.

What about a piece of duct tape on the lid when you're not using it? Would require replacing it often, but it may keep him out of it. If he knocks it over, can you use anything to brace the can to keep it upright?

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about a piece of duct tape on the lid when you're not using it? Would require replacing it often, but it may keep him out of it. If he knocks it over, can you use anything to brace the can to keep it upright?
You could use a short bungee, hook it under both handles, and simply un hook one handle to access the bin.  The bungee cord will keep them out and your won't have to replace it.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I am not sure if he figured out how to open the lid, but it was knocked over on the floor this morning.

I don't want to destroy the paint on the can with duct tape, but maybe I can figure out with a bungee cord.

For now I'll use scatt when I am not around. oi.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
the combo lock just may be a good idea. then what would I do with the can I bought? I can't return it as I don't have the box anymore and it'd be a waste of $65 bucks!

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the combo lock just may be a good idea. then what would I do with the can I bought? I can't return it as I don't have the box anymore and it'd be a waste of $65 bucks!
I guarantee that a bungee cord will accomplish what you need to do, with very little inconvenience (and $) and you will still be able to enjoy your beautiful trash bin.  Again, just secure the hooks to each handle making sure the cord is tight.  There is no way they will be able to open it.  When you want to use it, unhook one of the handles.  Very easy way to cat proof the trash bin without breaking the bank or ruining your investment.  But if you decide to go with the lock, heck, I'll take the trash bin
 I love it!

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I guarantee that a bungee cord will accomplish what you need to do, with very little inconvenience (and $) and you will still be able to enjoy your beautiful trash bin.  Again, just secure the hooks to each handle making sure the cord is tight.  There is no way they will be able to open it.  When you want to use it, unhook one of the handles.  Very easy way to cat proof the trash bin without breaking the bank or ruining your investment.  But if you decide to go with the lock, heck, I'll take the trash bin
 I love it!
this I will try. I think I have a bungee cord somewhere in my box of hardware and tools.. lol. thanks :)

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Boots is also one of those smarty pants cats who get into everything... must be a tuxedo thing. :lol3:

Anyway, he also knows how to get into cabinets AND open the trash can, even the kind with the pop lid. It's ridiculous.

Eventually I just started setting my tool box on top. Anything heavy will work. That would make it harder for him to knock it over, too.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
this I will try. I think I have a bungee cord somewhere in my box of hardware and tools.. lol. thanks :)
You might have to find a short one, a foot or two, and make sure it's snug.  Please keep us posted on how it works. 

And I am very interested in that can if you decide to part with it, lol.  I can't find a red one like that and I've been looking for a long time.  The foot mechanism broke on my white one so I would love to replace it.  May I ask where you got it?   The foot mechanism on yours looks sturdier than the one I have that broke, and I like the handles too.  It really is a beautiful and functional trash can. 

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Eventually I just started setting my tool box on top. Anything heavy will work. That would make it harder for him to knock it over, too.
That would also work, and I imagine if he did knock  it over, it would probably be the last time he messes with that mean red trash can!