Stopping a cat from going underneath a recliner.

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My new cat Toru has a habit of going underneath my recliner where there's a small opening as I'm sitting in it. Usually I'm not aware until he playfully reaches out and touches my feet or I feel him moving around underneath. The problem is it's a rocking recliner, and if sticks his paws out from the front while I'm rocking I could inadvertently smash his paws.

I first tried putting a sheet of plastic spikes under the recliner in the area he would be settling in. That hasn't deterred him from going underneath, though it might be deterring him from going all the way across and reaching on the other side. Any other suggestions?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to say it but I got rid of my recliner after a friend hurt a kitty here. Is there anyway to attach a slightly flexible but strong skirting around the base on the underside to block entrance? Maybe use a spray deterrent there that kitty does not like? Fill the cavity with something to take up any open space? It’s a problem faced by many who have recliners.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hate to say it but I got rid of my recliner after a friend hurt a kitty here. Is there anyway to attach a slightly flexible but strong skirting around the base on the underside to block entrance? Maybe use a spray deterrent there that kitty does not like? Fill the cavity with something to take up any open space? It’s a problem faced by many who have recliners.
After reading this I immediately went and started taping duct tape across the bottom of the recliner. I stuck a couple of strip across the backwards and taped them there so there's a sticky part that he can't avoid if he's messing around trying to get in. Hopefully that will do the trick!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are awesome! Good idea! :clap2::goldstar:Please do let us know how that works out becuase others may benefit from your duct tape work. I don’t know why Lazy boy or some other company hasn’t given us a pet proof recliner yet! It would outsell other models!

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little dude is persistent! After I used the ductape he tried to get underneath through the front of the recliner when I was leaning back. I had to give it to him because he'd already gotten his head under there... it was a close call and I'm glad I've how strapped a bunch more duct tape to the bottom of the chair, the scat mat is taped in place now, and I've left lots of free straps of tape around to annoy him should he venture in there

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little dude is persistent! After I used the ductape he tried to get underneath through the front of the recliner when I was leaning back. I had to give it to him because he'd already gotten his head under there... it was a close call and I'm glad I realized it was happening! Now I've strapped tape all across the bottom and the scat mat is taped there as well. I left lots of loose tape around to annoy him should he venture in there.
If there's an edit feature I can't find it. The corrected one is above. I have to get out of the habit of rocking on this recliner!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are also persistent! Bravo! It takes some figuring out because cats are so smart and they have their own opinions about things! I hope you win this battle do you can find a way to rock safely.
There is an edit feature here but I think you have to have written a certain number of posts before it shows up. It will be at the bottom left of your post after you hit reply. If it is something you really want removed, you can hit the word flag at the bottom left and then ask a moderator to correct it. Unless it’s something that really concerns you, I wouldn’t worry too much about it.
Just so you know.... I make typos because of vision issues but people here are very understanding and sometimes I have made awful typos. Sometimes they turn out kind of funny too. If I make someone laugh, it’s all good to me! ;)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago, my first cat, "K.C." had a habit of counter surfing and it took a while to break him of it.
I tried everything. Noisemakers, water guns... the whole nine yards.

Finally, the thing that did it was laying a minefield of small squares of masking tape, sticky side up, on the kitchen counters before I went to bed at night. Dozens of them!

The next morning, I went to the kitchen to discover most of them missing and I found them stuck to the cat!
K.C. wasn't very happy but, OMG! He looked funny as hell! Luckily, I used ordinary masking tape so all it took was a little water and the tape lost its stickum. It was easy to get off and the cat didn't lose much hair in the process.

However, that was the last time I caught the cat counter surfing!

You could try laying a minefield under the chair. It worked for me.

You could also try soaking a cloth or cotton ball in some lemon oil or oil of peppermint. Neither of those two things are harmful to cats in small amounts but they don't like the smell. It might make a good scent repellent for your cat. Just place the soaked cloth under the chair. Hopefully, the cat won't go near it.

Or, even try both, the scent repellent and laying a minefield.