Stopped All Dry Food.. Amazing Changes In Cat

charking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girl Sabrina is over weight but seemingly healthy. She had a full hysterectomy at 2 and had no hormone replacement so all the food was going into body weight. Once in a while she will have trouble peeing so I take about 1/4 of a 250mg. Vitamin C tablet, no extras just straight V-C and add about 1/2 capsule of powdered cranberry powder. Add a bit of chicken broth and syringe it and within a hour she is fine and going potty. Have to keep the pH a bit on the acidic side. I read to use 1/2 cup of chicken broth to a T of vinegar and I also used that 2 syringes full. No problems in over a week. She has been a FRISKIES kid since birth and then I added Beyond Grain Free she also had canned Friskies and especially the gravy and grilled ones. She only eats, turkey, beef and chicken, no fish. She also has some skin issues like an eczema deep under her coat, but it flakes.. and she had a little finger nail size soft tumor on the side of her face/jaw which I have been watching for changes over 2 years. Within 2 weeks of STOPPING ALL DRIED FOOD the skin is clear no eczema and I was shocked to see that the tumor was gone, totally. She is more frisky than I ever recall her being. The only issue I have is she is eating more than before because she is not getting the carbs and other sugars in her dry food. I am still using FRISKIES and this is in no way anything against them I have used their foods over 40 years. So if you have a cat which occasionally cries when peeing or try's to pee and can't you might want to try the above.
Do not wait more than a day without seeking a vets help for no peeing or if your cat has eczema its another good reason to try all wet foods. I would use raw but she will not eat any meat, cheese, or anything not in a can, raw or cooked. Just something to think about.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's good news for your girl!! I am not sure how to conclude that the removal of all dry food would have cured the tumor growth, but hey... Did you ever have it looked at by a vet, and if so, what did they think it was?

My Feeby (14+ yo) was up until a couple of years ago fed only dry food as she has always been a grazer (found at about 2yo totally emaciated, and has still never gotten over wanting food available 24/7 - even if she doesn't eat it, she wants to know it is there). I did start feeding her canned for her dinner meal, but she still has dry out all day. She still went through a few bouts last year with UTIs after not having had them for years & years prior (when she was still on a totally dry diet). So, I am somewhat of the impression that every cat is different and what might work for one won't necessarily work for another.

But, it is still good that you found the right combination of food and vitamins for Sabrina!!

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Snowball is 15.5 lbs n is on HILLS W/D n hes been on it a month or so n he started to loose then went back up.I hear that wet food is better for overweight cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's good news for your girl!! I am not sure how to conclude that the removal of all dry food would have cured the tumor growth, but hey... Did you ever have it looked at by a vet, and if so, what did they think it was?

My Feeby (14+ yo) was up until a couple of years ago fed only dry food as she has always been a grazer (found at about 2yo totally emaciated, and has still never gotten over wanting food available 24/7 - even if she doesn't eat it, she wants to know it is there). I did start feeding her canned for her dinner meal, but she still has dry out all day. She still went through a few bouts last year with UTIs after not having had them for years & years prior (when she was still on a totally dry diet). So, I am somewhat of the impression that every cat is different and what might work for one won't necessarily work for another.

But, it is still good that you found the right combination of food and vitamins for Sabrina!!
That's true, as for the tumor it was/is a fatty tumor per the vet. Seems like all my cats have had them by the time they reach old age in cat years. Sabrina is near 11 years old.. so don't know why either with the tumor disappearing unless she has some kind of a allergy to something in the dry food. As for the UTI its the same with people per my osteopath, you need to keep your urine or bladder more acidic than alkaline. I have always used cranberry and Vitamin C so knew it was safe for cats and used it as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Keyboardroyale

Mia and Aoife's personal maid
Kitten
Purraise
So happy for you and your girl!!!
Wet only is way better than dry, that is for sure, and all the feline nutrition reaearch I did when I adopted my babies says so, however, they were already used to kibble in the shelter, and are so head strong. They go along with it for a couple of days and then refuse to eat unless I give them kibble :(

Keyboardroyale

Mia and Aoife's personal maid
Kitten
Purraise
What do u feed ure cat??
Yes, i would like to know this too. I give them Orijen for kibble(it's the best high protein low carb kibble I can find in my area), and high end wet food like ziwipeak that follows the full prey concept :)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, i would like to know this too. I give them Orijen for kibble(it's the best high protein low carb kibble I can find in my area), and high end wet food like ziwipeak that follows the full prey concept

Check out catfooddb.com and CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart (1)(1).pdf
My cats eat wellness core chicken, chicken liver,and turkey,wellness core Turkey duck,wild fronteir Turkey duck, candidate Turkey duck, dr elseys chicken and Turkey, koha duck, perfect portions wide variety, miko for toppers which is canned shredded chicken with broth, hound and Gatos lamb

Last edited: