STOP NYS Parks from Euthanizing/Relocating Feral Cats

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sign the Petition

From the petition:

New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation has decided to take it upon themselves to decide the fate of feral cats that have lived in there homes in the parks for several years. It was brought to our attention that New York State Parks is currently trying to force the hand of rescuers and colony caretakers to remove, relocate and/or euthanize feral community cats. All cats have been TNR'd (Trapped, Neutered, Vaccinated and Returned) and do not pose a risk to any wild life or people in the park. The cats are fed on a daily basis and provided adequate shelter. The environments stay clean and the colonies are managed.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
SIGNED! I though feral cats in NYS would have more protections because of the state laws?
In New York-- All cats, whether domesticated or feral, are considered companion animals under Section 350 of New York’s Agriculture and Markets Law and are protected by the animal cruelty provisions set out in Sections 353 and 353-a.

If these cats have been tnred and have responsible caretakers, why would they do this? By engaging in this activity of forcing the cats out or euthanizing the them, NY has taken a major step back with how it treats feral cats! I am very saddened. This is regressive and is not the solution. For shame!😞

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the petition has some effect. It will take someone with a lot of clout to stop this action but it can be done. The momentum to stop this must be maintained and must grow. Of course I support protecting the ferals. As stated in other articles about this issue, removing these ferals will not remove cats from the park but only leave a void where more will come in to replace these. TNR and responsible cat guardians /owners is the answer. I have passed this forward. Thanks for letting us know.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sign the Petition

From the petition:

New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation has decided to take it upon themselves to decide the fate of feral cats that have lived in there homes in the parks for several years. It was brought to our attention that New York State Parks is currently trying to force the hand of rescuers and colony caretakers to remove, relocate and/or euthanize feral community cats. All cats have been TNR'd (Trapped, Neutered, Vaccinated and Returned) and do not pose a risk to any wild life or people in the park. The cats are fed on a daily basis and provided adequate shelter. The environments stay clean and the colonies are managed.
Signed with outrage, and gratitude to you and the petition originators. Best Friends has boots on the ground in NYC. Also, Alley Cat Allies is more than willing to work with municipalities and other entities to implement a solution that is agreeable to all. TNR is, as I'm sure you know, the successful and humane way to control free-roaming cat populations.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Signed them all. Really. Is victimizing cats making some of these people feel better?
Have they not learned from past mistakes? Culling or relocating the cats will cause a vacuum effect and a new colony of cats will move in - -in no time. This is a step back for NY. I suppose the Corona Virus is having a detrimental effect on programs/resources meant to help feral cats. So sad to see this state of regression. 🙁