Stop cats scratching wood furniture

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought so many scratch posts and pads and he doesn't scratch any of it. Everything but. Is there some type of solution I can spray or ideas to stop him from scratching my wood dividers and banisters. My new chair mat.

His nails just got trimmed at the clinic to

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually scratching posts are covered in carpet or rope. If he doesn’t have one of just wood, pretty easy to make him one and that may satisfy his need. If it’s your place and not an apartment you can even just nail a couple pieces of wood onto a corner wall and that may work for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would the enzymatic cleaner and vinegar also work as a scratch deterent?

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had this exact problem. One of my cats prefers scratching wood and was scratching the bannisters and doorframes. We put double sided tape on all the wood areas we didn’t want her to scratch, and my husband built a sturdy scratch post that is just a big tall piece of wood. It worked! She loves to scratch her wood post and is really tearing it up.

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I already ordered scratch tape which is arriving tomorrow. I was thinking of anti scratch spray but a lot of reviews say it doesn't work. I ordered smartycat catnip with silvervine and I ordered Smokey's stash catnip spray.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I already ordered scratch tape which is arriving tomorrow. I was thinking of anti scratch spray but a lot of reviews say it doesn't work. I ordered smartycat catnip with silvervine and I ordered Smokey's stash catnip spray.
The deterrents don't work much.

Catnip and silvervine is a great attractant.

However, the best deterrent for a cat is to give them a "yes" space to get that need out. If your cat is preferring to scratch wood, the only thing that will work long term AND when you aren't watching is giving them a wood thing to scratch. Put some cat nip on that and they'll begin to think, "okay this wood is my space to scratch and that wood is not."

The double sided tape may help, but I have known cats to tear it off to get at what they want to scratch.

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far the tapes holding up and he hasn't scratched the wood work. I wonder if I could just nail a board to his sisal scratching post. What kind of wood would be best?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a softer wood, like pine or cedar. The best wood would be a big piece of thick bark off a cut-down tree. You might drive around and see if you can find one or ask on Facebook, many people burn wood. I always have a bunch of that laying around. I have had the best luck redirecting scratching with those corrugated cardboard scratchers from Walmart.

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I finally got him to start scratching it. I stuffed treats in the crevice of the post and use a laser pointer to lure him to it. He's been scratching it trying to get to the light so far. Maybe he'll eventually start using it on his own

Attachments