Stop Catching Fleas

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I’ve recently started to take my cat outdoors and she really enjoy it but, I’ve got three more cats at home and I don’t want them to have fleas.

Is there anything I can do to reduce or eliminate the chances of my cat being infected with fleas?

(Collars don’t seem to work btw)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know where you are located, because sometimes that makes a difference on how hard it is to treat fleas. But, here in Central FL you need an actual flea treatment to keep fleas at bay - and that would apply to all the cats you have, not just the one that goes outside. So, topical flea treatment for the cats. And, if fleas are brought inside the home, the house needs to be treated too. Outside, if you have a yard, as well.
FleaScience

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am in central Florida and I have my yard sprayed for fleas and I give my cats flea treatment

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I don't know where you are located, because sometimes that makes a difference on how hard it is to treat fleas. But, here in Central FL you need an actual flea treatment to keep fleas at bay - and that would apply to all the cats you have, not just the one that goes outside. So, topical flea treatment for the cats. And, if fleas are brought inside the home, the house needs to be treated too. Outside, if you have a yard, as well.
FleaScience
All my cats have their flea treatment when it comes to, but still one or two fleas find their way to my cat’s fur… I can’t treat my yard because I don’t have one, I live in a flat and I take my cat to a house located in the beach.
When I come back I brush her so that I can find fleas and clean her with wipes. Also I have a collar for fleas which I should use

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The beach is probably your issue then. Best to do what you are doing but skip the flea collars. As you said, they are really not much benefit, and some are downright toxic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The beach is probably your issue then. Best to do what you are doing but skip the flea collars. As you said, they are really not much benefit, and some are downright toxic.
You’re right! Either way since she doesn’t dislike water I’ll try to introduce water to her so that I can bathe her once in a trimester

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure what a once a trimester bath is going to accomplish. Maybe check and see if you can give her something like Capstar (oral pill to kill adult fleas for 24 hours) the days you take her to the beach. All you need to do is find out if you can give that along with whatever product you are currently using.
Capstar For Cats: Dosage, Safety & Side Effects - All About Cats