Stop cat from attacking the litter robot

bub's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My tabby has some strange behaviors. He sucks on his, he gets spooked easily, is terrified of the outdoors, is scared of trash bags, scared of loud crinkles (plastic bags, grocery bags), he attacks his water dish and most recently has started attacking the litter robot. We bought the liter robot a month ago. He transitioned to it smoothly. He actually used it within the first hour. Then a week to 4 says ago we noticed he was attacking the litter robot while if cycled. He doesn't like the noise the litter clumps make when they fall. He'll smack them with his paw and even bite the litter clumps.

Some background knowledge on him: he was adopted from a rescued. He was abandoned as a kitten. He has a history of urinary crystals (he's on a specific wet food for that) and he's 5 years old. Oh and has pica (mostly for string and thin wires like chargers and headphone cords).

I have a theory that he has anxiety and this is a behavior caused by anxiety. I read somewhere that you shouldn't punish a cat for something they do out of fear. Plus i don't want my cat to have a negative association with the litter robot. Any suggestions for this behavior is greatly appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Obtain a different, unautomated litterbox.

Also, try calming products, and I'm thinking cat music might be just the thing for this boy. There's RelaxMyCat .com, MusicForCats .com, and spotify, Alexa and youtube have harp music that's specifically written for cats. There's purrli as well, but some music has actual purrs in the tunes.

I read somewhere that you shouldn't punish a cat for something they do out of fear.
Why would you? Cats, horses, dogs, and any other creature won't be living its best life or learning anything if it's punished for a behavior that's a reaction to something that has frightened it or is a reaction to an anxiety trigger.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats will never accept a litter robot or other mechanical type litter box, although urinating on the floor or elsewhere is more common than attacking the box . If the box distresses him this much I would suggest switching to a regular box.