Stomatitis

Niecee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. First time post here. My 9 year old tuxedo, Juliet, was diagnosed with stomatitis last week She'd stopped eating and lost weight. She was treated with a steroid and antibiotic, and goes for follow up tomorrow. She's eating again, and her behavior is still typical. My vet told me her case is very mild and that we caught it early, but after reading, I've seen nothing positive regarding the treatment or prognosis. Any ideas or experience other than she's going to need a full mouth extraction? Thank you!

UnderneathTheStars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat got diagnosed with mild stomatitis too. She can't have steroids because of her heart murmur but we are doing azithromycin for her chronic rhinitis and it seems to have helped (albeit it's probably temporary relief). I joined a FB group for stomatitis cats and apparently some people have good luck with 5mg of Zyrtec (the regular one, not the D one) per day. Of course it doesn't cure anything but some people say it lessens their cat's symptoms. A lot of cats in the group are also on long-term steroids which seems to help some manage it and live normally. Pain meds can also be considered in conjunction with other treatments. Beyond that and FME I'm not sure. FME isn't an option for me unless things become super severe because my cat can't tolerate anesthesia very well. Hopefully someone else will chime in!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Niecee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat got diagnosed with mild stomatitis too. She can't have steroids because of her heart murmur but we are doing azithromycin for her chronic rhinitis and it seems to have helped (albeit it's probably temporary relief). I joined a FB group for stomatitis cats and apparently some people have good luck with 5mg of Zyrtec (the regular one, not the D one) per day. Of course it doesn't cure anything but some people say it lessens their cat's symptoms. A lot of cats in the group are also on long-term steroids which seems to help some manage it and live normally. Pain meds can also be considered in conjunction with other treatments. Beyond that and FME I'm not sure. FME isn't an option for me unless things become super severe because my cat can't tolerate anesthesia very well. Hopefully someone else will chime in!

Niecee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and thank you for sharing your response. I've been reading every article I can get my hands on. I really want to be able to provide Juliet with a good quality of life, and do whatever I can to hold her symptoms at bay. I have a list of questions for my vet tomorrow regarding how to approach this. I'll cross the FME bridge if/ when I get to it. In the meantime, I certainly do hope to hear other people's experiences on here! I'll continue to share mine as well.

leo12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two former feral cats, both had stomatitis. After treating for a long time, both had to have full mouth extractions. One lived 13 more years after the extractions, and the other is still alive and had his done in 2009. They both ate very well, canned food, and occasionally had dry. After healing from the extractions, both did very well and no longer seemed to be in pain.

Niecee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two former feral cats, both had stomatitis. After treating for a long time, both had to have full mouth extractions. One lived 13 more years after the extractions, and the other is still alive and had his done in 2009. They both ate very well, canned food, and occasionally had dry. After healing from the extractions, both did very well and no longer seemed to be in pain.
Thank you. I'm not at that stage yet. Juliet has her follow up tonite, and I'll see what the next step will be. I think i'm still in shock over the hopelessness of this disease. I'm a cat lover and until now have never heard of this.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is shocking, I remember I felt the same way when I first read about it.
It isn't hopeless though, :vibes::redheartpump:
Let us know what they say, and- --hang in there!!

Niecee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will! Thank you...our appt is tonite.

Niecee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good evening ... Juliet's sore healed nicely. We're going to finish the antibiotics and watch her closely. She did lose another half pound since last visit, so we'll be watching that as well. I've got some gel to rub on her gums... I can't imagine how that will go. So now I'll be watching her like a hawk!