Stomatitis; symptoms keep recurring after treatment

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat was diagnosed with stomatitis about a year and had a full mouth extraction 8 months ago. She's been on various medications since then and had several follow-up visits with the veterinary dentist. She's been on oral Virbagen for several months and has about a month's worth of daily doses left in the bottle. I don't know if she'll need to continue it; that's a question I was going to ask the vet in a few weeks. She was also on a three-week course of antibiotics recently because of a nasty, infected drool; she completed that about two weeks ago. Just lately I've noticed her shaking and tossing her head as if something was bothering her mouth, so I suspect the mouth sores have returned. I've emailed the vet but won't get a reply for several days because they're closed Friday-Sunday (it's Thursday night as I write). I was told before surgery that not all cats fully recover, and it's looking like my sweetie may be one of those. I know it's up to the vet to decide what to do, but I'd like to know what else people have tried, whether it's an OTC product or a prescription, so that I could mention it when I talk to the vet in a few days. I'll keep doing whatever she needs, but I feel so bad that she just can't get over this.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you considered an Assisi Loop? A Cat I was fostering had pretty bad Stomatitis and it reduced the inflammation by at least 50%, enough so that she didn't need to have her teeth pulled. Assisi Animal Health

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry for your girl! I have no experience with stomatitis, but I did search this site and have provided a link below for you to read previous posts related to the matter. Maybe you can find some helpful information in them, while you wait for other members to respond.
Search Results for Query: stomatitis

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just to provide an update: The vet recommended cryotherapy, and Luna had the first of a planned three monthly treatments last week. It's too soon to say if this will help, but I hope so, because I don't know if there's much else to try. She's been taking an antibiotic twice a day (only a dose or two left) and will start gabapentin as soon as the click pens are shipped from a specialty pharmacy out of state.

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I too have a cat who is suffering with stomatitis.After a number of incidences,I decided to try natural remedies--after the last visit to the vet ,I started to use the following--Life Gold (by Pet wellness),Gingivities preparation (by Homeoanimal) and Silver.At first ,I was also giving him 1ml predesolone once a day,Over a few weeks ,I reduced the predesolone to half ml, once every 4 days.The cat continued to improve without further vet visits---ate and drank well and seems to be loving life--plays with me,purrs at the drop of a hat and plays in the garden----in other words,a completely different cat !!!I did have to play around with doses a bit and gave all meds.with a syringe.
Here are the doses---Life Gold,2drops twice a day----Silver(using the homeoanimal spray bottle),2 sprays ,twice a day----Gingivitis preparation ,1 spray once a day..
I hope this helps you---
Tony Wynne-Roberts