Stomatitis Relief

thomasdorfman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I had Gizzy's teeth pulled a few years ago... Last year the stomatitis re-emerged with a vengeance, and the vet had me trying various antibiotics, and eventually prednisone. None of that was satisfactory, but I want to share, and hopefully help someone (human and feline!) with a discovery that I found that relieves the symptoms of painful stomatitis. The answer is curcumin. It's an extract of turmeric, and is a wonderful anti inflammatory. I give her about 40mg from a 500 mg pill every 6-6 hours, mixed in with her food. It totally stops all the symptoms of pawing at her mouth, scratching, refusing to eat, etc. I use "Thorne research" capsules, 500 mg, and measure out about 1 13/th per portion. By now I know the size to pinch by hand. It's like a miracle. I'm posting this because I hope It can help others. Good luck!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for posting this information. We have several members whose cats are having stomatitis issues. While not every product works on every individual, it is good to know that there is something out there to try! Have a look in our health forum, you'll find LOTS of stomatitis posts! Or, LOL, just search "stomatitis" in our search engine!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so very much for the tip!! After over 13 years of dealing with active IBD, I found a doctor (who has 4 family members with Crohn's disease) who suggested turmeric extract and although pricey, is as effective, for me, as the sulfasalazine/bentyl plan (those fancy meds advertised are not good for someone with weak kidneys).
My cat Lance was diagnosed with stomatitis yesterday. I will be giving turmeric a try. I am also going to research L-lysine and CoQ10 for cats - over 80% of cats test positive for calicivirus and almost as a high a percentage are FHV1 positive. Lance is a former feral whose various colony members have tested positive not only for those diseases but some of his half siblings are FIV+ as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thomasdorfman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so very much for the tip!! After over 13 years of dealing with active IBD, I found a doctor (who has 4 family members with Crohn's disease) who suggested turmeric extract and although pricey, is as effective, for me, as the sulfasalazine/bentyl plan (those fancy meds advertised are not good for someone with weak kidneys).
My cat Lance was diagnosed with stomatitis yesterday. I will be giving turmeric a try. I am also going to research L-lysine and CoQ10 for cats - over 80% of cats test positive for calicivirus and almost as a high a percentage are FHV1 positive. Lance is a former feral whose various colony members have tested positive not only for those diseases but some of his half siblings are FIV+ as well.
Hope it helps! I use "thorne research"curcumen. It's 500 mg. A tablespoon of turmeric only has 3 grams of curcumen! My cats been fine now for months. I just have to give her about a bb size amount of the powder every 4-6 hours when I feed her. I also use it for myself for stiff back problems. It's a miracle drug, and natural!

dshank1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I had Gizzy's teeth pulled a few years ago... Last year the stomatitis re-emerged with a vengeance, and the vet had me trying various antibiotics, and eventually prednisone. None of that was satisfactory, but I want to share, and hopefully help someone (human and feline!) with a discovery that I found that relieves the symptoms of painful stomatitis. The answer is curcumin. It's an extract of turmeric, and is a wonderful anti inflammatory. I give her about 40mg from a 500 mg pill every 6-6 hours, mixed in with her food. It totally stops all the symptoms of pawing at her mouth, scratching, refusing to eat, etc. I use "Thorne research" capsules, 500 mg, and measure out about 1 13/th per portion. By now I know the size to pinch by hand. It's like a miracle. I'm posting this because I hope It can help others. Good luck!
We recently rescued a neighborhood cat (Fred) about 1.5 months ago. After noticing strange eating behaviors, drooling and really bad breath we brought it up to our vet. After the exam several bad teeth were found and made a plan to have them extracted. Took him for a follow up visit yesterday and he had really bad inflammation in the back of his mouth. Stomatitis was discussed but first we are trying a steroid and antibiotic cocktail to make sure it’s not anything else. We are still pureeing his food to ensure that he eats but he’s not gaining as much weight as we would like. He weighed 7lbs and now he’s just a little over 8lbs. It’s very frustrating not being able to get him better but I know we will get there.
Is this still working for you? I take turmeric myself so I know what a blessing it is and I would rather give Fred this than steroids.
I’d be very grateful for any insight you could share.