Stomach mass

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi al!
Back story: I posted in here a few days ago about my 14 year old cat Petey and how he has been throwing up liquid with specks of blood in it. He is currently on Amitriptyline and miralax for constipation. The vet did X-rays and took bloodwork and said that he possibly has hyperthyroidism and early kidney failure. He had lost 2 lbs at that point (from October-Jan). His WBC was high, so the vet gave him an antibiotic.
Fast forward to two days ago. Petey threw up blood again and this time, although not a ton, it was more than just some specks. I thought we were maybe looking at an ulcer or some irritation caused by the miralax.
They got him in today and kept him for most of the day and we did not get news that I was prepared for.
They redid bloodwork and did an ultrasound. The vet called me this afternoon when it was finished and although he put it in better terms, he basically said “Peteys WBC is back to normal(cue me thinking “yay!” , but he’s dying(cue me thinking WTF!!???””.

I know he didn’t mean to get my hopes up, but I’d much prefer bad news to be shared first. I thought we were in the clear for a too brief moment.
Basically, the bloodwork came back better than last time, aside from still high creatinine, but the ultrasound showed masses on the lining of his stomach. The vet said “We aren’t just looking at one small spot either”. He’s fairly certain they are tumors based on what he could see, and he believes that at Peteys age and the issues that he has, doing biopsies to find out what they actually are for certain is not recommended. He pretty much said that (I’m not sure for what reason, I was really upset and didn’t process it all) sedating him and doing biopsies would shorten his life faster than letting this progress itself.

Currently, as far as I can tell, Peteys only symptom is vomiting approximately once a week that sometimes has a little blood in it.
He seems otherwise normal, but my heart hurts so much thinking that he may be in pain.
The vet said that for now, since he is showing no signs of pain and isn’t vomiting super frequently or having other digestive issues that we should hold off on pain management medications, but that when we need to he will prescribe prednisone (I think that’s what he said) and something that starts with a C to help ease the stomach.

In the meantime, do those of you who have went through similar things have any suggestions I can do for him to make him more comfortable Or just any suggestions in general?

The vet said I should continue the amitriptyline and miralax for now (amitriptyline is prescribed to him for anxiety, but also helps with pain management). I can’t help but eye miralax curiously though, all the symptoms seem to have started when I started giving him it. Coincidence maybe, but I was thinking of trying slippery elm to see if it helps?

I have cried about 99% of the day (I think the vet felt so bad that he only charged me 1/5th of what was quoted and didn’t charge an exam fee at all, bless him). It’s kind of unreal to look at him and think that he has cancer, he just seems so normal aside from the occasional blood. Oddly, I haven’t noticed his feces being super dark. Which I figured would happen if the blood is from a tumor(s) in his stomach lining.

I’m praying for a long time of decent quality of life, but trying to prepare for it progressing quickly. Hurts my soul.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry. We had a similar situation with our Hannah last year who ended up with intestinal lymphoma and cancer on her spleen. Thankfully, she went very quickly. I would do palliative care for Petey. Make him comfortable and maybe feed him smaller portions more frequently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry. We had a similar situation with our Hannah last year who ended up with intestinal lymphoma and cancer on her spleen. Thankfully, she went very quickly. I would do palliative care for Petey. Make him comfortable and maybe feed him smaller portions more frequently.

Thank you for your kind words. I’m sorry about your Hannah. :hearthrob:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have read through your post a few times and am still contemplating what to say. I remember Petey but have not yet gone back and read through your previous thread about him. I will do so.

Some of the things that come to mind is first to ask about why the vet did not do a FNA cytology (fine needle aspiration) during the ultrasound. Perhaps the lesions they saw were too deep to aspirate? But that would have allowed them to analyze the cells for cancer. Secondly, I guess I am wondering if the vet mentioned anything at all to do with ulcerations in the stomach as opposed to cancer. And I do think you need to follow up with your vet with your question about Petey having some blood in his stool, since you don't see anything to suggest that is going on.

Prednisone or Prednisolone are steroids, often given to cats with gastrointestinal issues and/or cancer. The med starting with a 'C" could be Cerenia, but that is an anti-nausea med, so I am not sure. Just another thing to get clarified with your vet. I think you need to have a follow-up conversation with your vet to get some of the information clearer in your head.

As far as a biopsy, I have heard so many stories (mostly with humans) about 'opening up' someone in an operating room to investigate cancer and that causing it to spread more rapidly. I have no idea if that is even true. I'd forgo it anyway and ask about the FNA I mentioned above.

Since Petey isn't doing all that bad, I'd get more information from the vet and let that information settle before you go crazy. I can't imagine that Miralax would cause any real issues, so you might want to investigate that further via research online. He apparently does need something to reduce constipation issues, and so many folks think this is one of the mildest ways to do so.

Another thing to think about is Petey's foods - if you have a rotating schedule of foods you might want to see if there is a pattern between the food and when he throws up - perhaps there are some foods that are more irritating to his stomach than others?

I am not a vet, so everything I have said is purely a layperson's speculation. I will look at your other thread, and I am still pondering on this one. I just wanted to say something - worthy or not - to let you know we are thinking of you and Petey.

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I have read through your post a few times and am still contemplating what to say. I remember Petey but have not yet gone back and read through your previous thread about him. I will do so.

Some of the things that come to mind is first to ask about why the vet did not do a FNA cytology (fine needle aspiration) during the ultrasound. Perhaps the lesions they saw were too deep to aspirate? But that would have allowed them to analyze the cells for cancer. Secondly, I guess I am wondering if the vet mentioned anything at all to do with ulcerations in the stomach as opposed to cancer. And I do think you need to follow up with your vet with your question about Petey having some blood in his stool, since you don't see anything to suggest that is going on.

Prednisone or Prednisolone are steroids, often given to cats with gastrointestinal issues and/or cancer. The med starting with a 'C" could be Cerenia, but that is an anti-nausea med, so I am not sure. Just another thing to get clarified with your vet. I think you need to have a follow-up conversation with your vet to get some of the information clearer in your head.

As far as a biopsy, I have heard so many stories (mostly with humans) about 'opening up' someone in an operating room to investigate cancer and that causing it to spread more rapidly. I have no idea if that is even true. I'd forgo it anyway and ask about the FNA I mentioned above.

Since Petey isn't doing all that bad, I'd get more information from the vet and let that information settle before you go crazy. I can't imagine that Miralax would cause any real issues, so you might want to investigate that further via research online. He apparently does need something to reduce constipation issues, and so many folks think this is one of the mildest ways to do so.

Another thing to think about is Petey's foods - if you have a rotating schedule of foods you might want to see if there is a pattern between the food and when he throws up - perhaps there are some foods that are more irritating to his stomach than others?

I am not a vet, so everything I have said is purely a layperson's speculation. I will look at your other thread, and I am still pondering on this one. I just wanted to say something - worthy or not - to let you know we are thinking of you and Petey.
I don’t believe the vet mentioned anything about an FNA (and I wasn’t aware that this was a thing). The only thing that he mentioned was that he doesn’t suggest a biopsy. I’ll have to ask him why that wasn‘t done.
He only mentioned an ulcer prior to the ultrasound, but after the ultrasound he just seemed like all symptoms were directly related to the masses.
I do rotate his food so I’ll have to keep an eye on it happens on the days he has a certain food.
I’m going to be making a list of things to ask the vet on Monday when I’m more level headed and not so emotional (hopefully). Thank you so much for the thought put into your response. You thought of questions that I probably wouldn’t have since now all I can think is “CANCER!!”.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
i am not a vet either but do know that to be there for him you have to take a deep breath and be there for yourself too. Drink some camomile tea. Center. Get sleep if you can. All those things that you want to say or forgot to ask the vet will come to you, and should be asked…getting information helps you rest easy and think straight. Don’t be afraid to ask stupid questions, or even more than once. Sending warm cat purrs to you and Petey.

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i am not a vet either but do know that to be there for him you have to take a deep breath and be there for yourself too. Drink some camomile tea. Center. Get sleep if you can. All those things that you want to say or forgot to ask the vet will come to you, and should be asked…getting information helps you rest easy and think straight. Don’t be afraid to ask stupid questions, or even more than once. Sending warm cat purrs to you and Petey.
How sweet. Thank you!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi again. I lost track of your thread! How are things going?

I didn't come up with any new thoughts about Petey's situation but did read your previous thread again. I don't know how long Petey has been on amitriptyline, but after reading about it, it can contribute to constipation - and, sometimes even vomiting. It can also cause a lowering of thyroid levels. So, maybe something else to just go over with your vet. And make sure you give some food along with the amitriptyline.

I'd still track the food to see if that ties to the vomiting.

Keep us posted, please!

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I do think the amitriptyline is at least helping to contribute to the constipation. Aside from the constipation it has worked wonders for him. He was constantly getting bladder inflammation which was deduced to anxiety. He would try to pee anywhere and everywhere. Even ended up with a blockage once 🙁. He was on Prozac in the past, but he was zombie cat and sat and stared pretty much all day so I took him off of it. He did well for a while then had flare ups more frequently so back in August (I believe) we put him on the amitriptyline. He’s always been a very anxious cat despite never actually having to worry about a thing in his 14 years since we’ve had him (and he was a kitten then). Unfortunately, he did throw up a little today. Blood tinged liquid once earlier. The last time he threw up bloody liquid was Wednesday. He never actually throws up food though he has eaten well today and yesterday. It seems to be after the food has digested. So far it is happening one time a day anywhere between a couple days to a week apart. The vet that we see is only in 3 days a week, but I’m going to try to reach him tomorrow with some follow up questions.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh - and ask the vet about meal frequency too! Since he is not throwing up food with the blood-tinged liquid, perhaps smaller more frequent meals would help in case he has excess stomach juices accumulating in his stomach and is irritating either ulcerations or cancer lesions. If he has a little bit of food in his stomach most of the time, maybe that would help absorb the stomach acids and make him less inclined to throw up?

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh - and ask the vet about meal frequency too! Since he is not throwing up food with the blood-tinged liquid, perhaps smaller more frequent meals would help in case he has excess stomach juices accumulating in his stomach and is irritating either ulcerations or cancer lesions. If he has a little bit of food in his stomach most of the time, maybe that would help absorb the stomach acids and make him less inclined to throw up?
That’s what I was thinking too. I’m going to try more frequent meals. I may have to get a timed feeder since myself an my husband both work. You’ve been really helpful. I really appreciate everyone here and their kind words and suggestions. It really helps and makes me feel better.