Stomach bug passed between two cats in same household?

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two 13 year old female cats, both in good health other than one being gluten intolerant. Yesterday, the tuxie started to have soft poop followed by diarrhea one or two times, and then she threw up, a lot just one time though. She did not want to eat. This morning she drank some water and then ate half of her normal breakfast (Earthborn wet food). She was more herself and moving around like she normally does. This is the cat that always begs for food. Then her sister, the ragdoll cat threw up this morning (no runny poop yet). She seems to be acting normal, eating as she usually does, but it may be more to come. They do share a litter box but I am very diligent in cleaning it. Ragdoll is 100% indoor and the tuxie goes out on our enclosed backporch once a day for a few minutes. I have not changed their food or given them anything new to eat. My fiance told me to put rice in their food, which I did, but it does not seem to be helping. Previously we had been given Pepcid by the vet but we are out. I realize it has not gone on long enough to be a concern, no blood in stool or vomit, nothing looking like coffee grinds, but I am concerned. Can they pass things to each other? Should I quarantine them from each other? They really don't vomit much and if they do it's a hairball. Can I give them Pepcid if so in what dose? Thank you.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am actually dealing with the same thing! Lily and Zoe both started having diarrhea Saturday night, at first I thought it was just my 3 year old Zoe, but realized a day or two later, Lily (7) was too. It was bad. Finally I took them to the vet and they couldn't find anything parasitic in their fecal, so gave me metro? To give them for 8 days. This morning they already seem better so may of been a shared virus that they would of fought off on their own. It was scary though, I was so worried about dehydration or it getting worse. Keep a very close watch on them if it doesnt go away I'd say go to vet. I may of spent a lot on unneeded tests, but I feel much better with a peace of mind and know they are getting better

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no sorry to hear that. I don't think it's parasitic but will follow up in a day or two if they don't improve. They are both eating, just not as much as they normally do and definitely are not feeling well. I heard you can give them Pepcid or Tums but not sure.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I've read some people give their cats pepcid in smaller doses, definitely search on here dosing and side effects. I wouldn't use tums, tums are flavored and probably not good for them.
Mine are allowed out, but I dont understand how its not a parasite if they both got it at the same time. The vet said something they ate but they dont get into stuff around the house and certainly not together, so no real answers, I'm just glad that they are feeling better this morning. Besides the bad diarrhea they weren't acting strange, eating fine, and Zoe running around playing. (Lily is very lazy and doesnt really like to play)

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regular canned pumpkin can help firm up poop, too, for minor diarrhea. Just be sure that the ingredients say nothing but pumpkin. You want 100% pumpkin. You can mix it in with their food. I was shocked when Thirteen didn't object to it.

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Regular canned pumpkin can help firm up poop, too, for minor diarrhea. Just be sure that the ingredients say nothing but pumpkin. You want 100% pumpkin. You can mix it in with their food. I was shocked when Thirteen didn't object to it.
We have used pumpkin before when they were sick, one eats it one won't, but worth a shot.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it may be worth getting their stool tested at the vet. It is possible that the outdoor one picked something up and then transferred it to your other cat. At least that way you can rule out a parasite or some kind of infection.

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it may be worth getting their stool tested at the vet. It is possible that the outdoor one picked something up and then transferred it to your other cat. At least that way you can rule out a parasite or some kind of infection.
Thanks. I am going to give it until tomorrow and if it still continues I will take them in to the vet. The only reason I prefer to wait is it is so traumatic for my Ragdoll to go to the vet. She will hiss at her sister for two weeks, and growl. We have to bath both of them to get it to stop and even then though that helps it does not fix it entirely. It's true even if we take them both at the same time. The Tuxie will meow the entire way to and from the vet in the car but when she gets home it's like it never happened, but for her sister hissing and growling at her!

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I've read some people give their cats pepcid in smaller doses, definitely search on here dosing and side effects. I wouldn't use tums, tums are flavored and probably not good for them.
Mine are allowed out, but I dont understand how its not a parasite if they both got it at the same time. The vet said something they ate but they dont get into stuff around the house and certainly not together, so no real answers, I'm just glad that they are feeling better this morning. Besides the bad diarrhea they weren't acting strange, eating fine, and Zoe running around playing. (Lily is very lazy and doesnt really like to play)
Yes the same time seems odd. With mine, one got it first, and then the other the following day so transmission makes sense. Ha ha I have one lazy cat and one that loves to play too. The Ragdoll will play all by herself at 13 years old. Her sister the Tuxie just lies there. I always say we got two cats so you could play together now play with your sister :). She sits there and stares at me.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I am going to give it until tomorrow and if it still continues I will take them in to the vet. The only reason I prefer to wait is it is so traumatic for my Ragdoll to go to the vet. She will hiss at her sister for two weeks, and growl. We have to bath both of them to get it to stop and even then though that helps it does not fix it entirely. It's true even if we take them both at the same time. The Tuxie will meow the entire way to and from the vet in the car but when she gets home it's like it never happened, but for her sister hissing and growling at her!
Some vets will do a phone consult and let you bring in a poop sample without having to take in your cat. You might ask your vet if this is possible.

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay thanks for letting me know. I will give them a call.