Stolen Cat&fraud-what Should I Do?

OvrDEdge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been taken from me by my ex, hes suppose to take care of her until he comes to move with me to Hawaii when we were together. He asked for all her paperwork so he can get the documents needed to ship her. I sent everything to him. We broke up and now he took all her paperwork and resigned them under his name! He wont answer me and he cut off all communication with him... and I dont think the police can help me with this situation. What can I do?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What paperwork does he have? Is the cat registered in CFA or TICA? Or is the vet records, microchip, etc.? Depending on what the paperwork is, you may have some recourse by contacting the agency that issued the papers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OvrDEdge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dont think shes with CFA or TICA. I got her from the humane society here in hawaii. He has the vet records, her microchip document and etc.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have the microchip number written down anywhere? You could contact the company to report a lost/stolen pet.

OvrDEdge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's an AVID microchip. He sent me a picture of the certificate, but if he placed his name on the certificate, wont that affect the authentication of who she belongs to?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Did you register the chip when it was put in? They shouldn't change the owner's name without contacting the original person.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You could also call the vet and tell them what happened. They may not be able to help, but it can't hurt to ask.

OvrDEdge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't think I did cause she was a graduation gift. I did that enrollment just now and it went through. I mean, if he did that then it wouldve popped up as a duplicate right? So it should be safe to say that shes now under my name completely right?

OvrDEdge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dont know who her vet is, I moved around alot with her since being in the navy so I'm not sure now...

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I didn't think I did cause she was a graduation gift. I did that enrollment just now and it went through. I mean, if he did that then it wouldve popped up as a duplicate right? So it should be safe to say that shes now under my name completely right?
It seems like it should work that way. Your best bet would be to call/contact the company to ask if they have any options for tracking down a stolen cat.

Do you have a friend in the area where your ex lives who might be able to keep an eye on him, and possibly even get the kitty from him?

OvrDEdge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like a good idea. I'll see if I can ask around. I know where she is, I just dont know what hes going to do with her... he mentioned giving her away or setting her up at a shelter or just keeping her... so i dont know what's going to happen...

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Good luck with getting your kitty back. In the meantime, it would be a good idea to have everything in place for transporting her and getting her home.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also contact the original adopting society, explain the situation, and ask if they still have adoption papers with your name on them.

OvrDEdge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Didnt think of that, I'll definately do that. Thank you

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Best of luck. I know you are both angry and heartbroken. Let us know how things go.