Stinky poops

semeagher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi -
We have two new kittens; one is about five months (almost six months old) the other is three months(nearly four months old). We have been feeding them a combination of wet and dry food, two cans of wet, and probably an 8th of a dry cup a day). We have provided them three kinds of wet food (it was based on what kitten food we could find near us). Fancy feast kitten food, then Tiki Cat, Instinct Kitten Pate, and Purina pro plan focus kitten white fish and tuna entree. And Instincts dry kitten food. The kitten's poop has stunk to varying degrees throughout all of this, and now they both are gassy. I know we need to get a fecal sample to the vet. Does anyone have another suggestion that could help. We give our older cat fortiflora; would a probiotic help them. Is there something we can add to the liter to help? We use Cat Attract litter because of our older cat. They really are stinky cute but whew, the smell.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed Fancy Feast wet and Purina Pro Turkey dry. They all eat the same food. My 2 girls don't seem to stink as much as my boy, but he also eats more than they do. Maybe it's the amount of food they are eating? I often eat my lunch in the basement surfing the internet on my old desktop. My boy often comes down to do his business while I'm eating. :barfgreen:

Rowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi -
We have two new kittens; one is about five months (almost six months old) the other is three months(nearly four months old). We have been feeding them a combination of wet and dry food, two cans of wet, and probably an 8th of a dry cup a day). We have provided them three kinds of wet food (it was based on what kitten food we could find near us). Fancy feast kitten food, then Tiki Cat, Instinct Kitten Pate, and Purina pro plan focus kitten white fish and tuna entree. And Instincts dry kitten food. The kitten's poop has stunk to varying degrees throughout all of this, and now they both are gassy. I know we need to get a fecal sample to the vet. Does anyone have another suggestion that could help. We give our older cat fortiflora; would a probiotic help them. Is there something we can add to the liter to help? We use Cat Attract litter because of our older cat. They really are stinky cute but whew, the smell.
I adopted a kitten a few months ago -she is now 8 mos. I noticed ( and I had noticed this with my other cat Gem) that the kibble made her poop really stinky and she had gas. It may be whatever additives are in the food.Even though I was feeding her good brands- grain free- sometimes they put peas, potatos etc, and I wondered whether it was that. Sometimes its the protein that doesnt agree with them. The protein I give is always chicken or turkey, duck- and when I feed her only wet Tiki Cat chicken and duck that has no additives- or Wellness Turkey Mince her poop doesnt stink. I decided to go the total wet food route because of this. I'm only feeding her those proteins, but variety in texture. I dont know about the fancy feast in terms of what else is in it. Maybe try eliminating the dry to see if its the food. If its not that try a process of elimination with the wet.
It could be as simple as food not agreeing with them- like when we have gas or other issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

semeagher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a kitten a few months ago -she is now 8 mos. I noticed ( and I had noticed this with my other cat Gem) that the kibble made her poop really stinky and she had gas. It may be whatever additives are in the food.Even though I was feeding her good brands- grain free- sometimes they put peas, potatos etc, and I wondered whether it was that. Sometimes its the protein that doesnt agree with them. The protein I give is always chicken or turkey, duck- and when I feed her only wet Tiki Cat chicken and duck that has no additives- or Wellness Turkey Mince her poop doesnt stink. I decided to go the total wet food route because of this. I'm only feeding her those proteins, but variety in texture. I dont know about the fancy feast in terms of what else is in it. Maybe try eliminating the dry to see if its the food. If its not that try a process of elimination with the wet.
It could be as simple as food not agreeing with them- like when we have gas or other issues.
That is what I am wondering. We wanted dry food as they seem to get hungry in the middle of the day (they nibble on our fingers and such) and splitting small food cans can be a struggle in our house. We just don't remember to take the cans out of the fridge and then there is cold food and they don't like it. The elimination process might work. They just had some dry food and it on with the kitty wars.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

semeagher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Defi
That is what I am wondering. We wanted dry food as they seem to get hungry in the middle of the day (they nibble on our fingers and such) and splitting small food cans can be a struggle in our house. We just don't remember to take the cans out of the fridge and then there is cold food and they don't like it. The elimination process might work. They just had some dry food and it on with the kitty wars.
Definitly will look into food with less fillers

Rowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know its hard to figure out- its new to me because I free fed my cat Gem who died in August SD with some wet everyday. In the end I blame the SD with all of its fillers for her digestive issues, and always wonder if she had been only wet- not free fed would she still be with me. I did want Robin the new kitten to have kibble incorporated and there are many limited ingredient brands which are the ones I tried but gave her stinky poop. The one that didnt thats all life stages was Ziwi Peak lamb-more jerky than kibble. I might go back to that.
I am home now so can feed Robin the wet whenever she wants which is what I do now, since shes a kitten and still growing she gets as much as she wants, and doesnt miss the kibble. There is lots of nutritional info and a ongoing forum about nutrition on this site. In the end I think alot boils down to what works with each cats makeup.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens need to eat as much as they want the first year as they are still growing. A grain-free food is always a good bet, but they likely need treating for parasites, which do not always show up in a fecal. A round of metronidazole should help.