Stinky love bug - my cat expresses anal sacs when happy

Mini8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are any of you lucky owners of cats that release that foul smelling liquid when loving them up? I had no idea this even happened until my newly adopted kitten started doing this. He does it almost every time I love him up. The smell is beyond gross and embarrassing especially when we have visitors who give him a pet and then the smell comes! Poor guy..not his fault at all and I’ve come up with some ways of dealing with the smell like using baby wipes for his bum for after and incontinence pads to use when I love him up because the smell even goes through towels and regular blankets sometimes.

Im curious of those who have dealt with this with their own cats. Do they do it less as they age? Any other tips you can share?

I only found one website that talks about this here:Anal Glands and Happy Cats - Cats Herd You
and really would love to connect with other owners of stinky lovebugs! 🥰🤢

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mini8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should also add this behavior is very different from actually fully expressing their sacs. It is a very small amount and clear but pungent.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe regular anal gland expressing will help minimize what comes out during snuggles? The vet can show you how to do this. It might be a two person job since most cats don't like their back end messed with.

My cat probably leaked a bit once or twice when he was younger. I just keep on top of checking his glands and emptying them as needed.

Mini8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet said this is perfectly normal (from some cats!) and that releasing the glands will not make a difference in fact she said she had a cat that did this too. She was the one that gave me the tip of keeping blankets or towels around to put on your lap for love sessions.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Mamie, who crossed the bridge in 2004, did this! Iirc she didn’t start until a bit later in life - she was maybe 2 when I adopted her in ‘89. I didn’t even know about anal glands, I thought she was doing particularly pungent liquid farts - blarts, I called them. As in, wash my hair and clothes after one of them.

Mini8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Mamie, who crossed the bridge in 2004, did this! Iirc she didn’t start until a bit later in life - she was maybe 2 when I adopted her in ‘89. I didn’t even know about anal glands, I thought she was doing particularly pungent liquid farts - blarts, I called them. As in, wash my hair and clothes after one of them.
Ahh yes. Those blarts can clear out a whole room and you definitely need to wash everything after!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trying not to laugh at your problem! My boy releases a bit from his anal glands when extremely stressed. Short of the towel idea or maybe a diet change, I have nothing. I hope you find something that works.