Stinky garbage can

bluebklyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This isn't about my cat per se--unless she is actively sabotaging my trash efforts while I'm sleeping, but I'll bet there are some experts here who can help with my problem.

I live in a city and get trash pick up twice a week. I clean my cat's litter box everyday: I put the waste in a plastic grocery bag, tie it up, and then place it in my garbage can until the next trash day. My garbage can stinks and smells like a litter box! The litter box doesn't even smell like a litter box! I guess the odor permeates the plastic bags. I have tried sprinkling litter box deodorizer in the big trash bag and that helps somewhat. I've been spraying the garbage can with bleach water every time I change to a new bag. It still reeks!

My question is whether there is some kind of odor blocking bag that I can put litter waste in. We have a plastic bag ban now, so my supply of grocery bags is running out anyway and this is a good time to buy something new or do something different.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

You can get trash cans designed specifically for soiled cat litter. Litter Locker, Litter Genie and Litter Champ are the brands I can find online. A diaper trash can might work too., and using diaper trash bags for litter might help as well. I've never used either as I don't have that issue (our kitchen trash fills up fast so it gets emptied every other day), but I know others here do use litter trash cans to prevent this issue.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a thread about litter lockers and the like: Anyone else frustrated with litter keepers/lockers?

Try double bagging the waste. Maybe use one of those little stick on air fresheners on the underside of the trash can lid and / or a box of baking soda or odor absorber in the bottom of the trash can?

Do you have outside space to put a trash can for used cat waste and other stinky trash? Or devote a small container with a secure lid for bags of cat waste? Then on trash day, empty the bucket into the regular trash and take it out?

Dollar stores sell rolls of perfumed trash bags, some really heavily scented. You may want to try those. The bags are really thin though so you definitely need to double bag so the cat waste doesn't beak through.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use a Tidy Cat Litter Bucket (that litter comes in). Scoop into the bucket, snap the lid closed, repeat. Once a week we dump the bucket and clean it if needed

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Litter Genie and get the knock off refills for it on Amazon. ( like Lionpapa ). The cost is reasonable, and since they are longer in length than the Litter Genie refills they last a long time. No smell, and they go in my garbage can once every two weeks or so.