Stillborn Kitten Help

brittyxxtaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Dana, is a one year old, very healthy, smart, loving cat. Today she went into labor after a couple days of spotting. We woke up to two kittens that weren't alive. One was still warm but the other cold. Tried to save the warm one but it was too late. There's definitely at least another one in her, she's being extremely loveable, not showing any signs of pain or distress. I have read that the kittens can die during birth but I want to know if this has happened to anyone else and what they can tell me about their experience. Also, the kittens were rather large so I'm wondering if she went past her due date? Thank you xoxo

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So sorry to hear this. It's difficult to know what happened to cause it. It could be that each one stayed too long in the birth canal during delivery, or it could be a genetic defect.

I hope if there is another one that it will be born alive and healthy! Please let us know.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat, Dana, is a one year old, very healthy, smart, loving cat. Today she went into labor after a couple days of spotting. We woke up to two kittens that weren't alive. One was still warm but the other cold. Tried to save the warm one but it was too late. There's definitely at least another one in her, she's being extremely loveable, not showing any signs of pain or distress. I have read that the kittens can die during birth but I want to know if this has happened to anyone else and what they can tell me about their experience. Also, the kittens were rather large so I'm wondering if she went past her due date? Thank you xoxo
It was wise to try and revive the warm one.  Sometimes its possible - if they arent very apparent premature or apparently deformed.  Typically its they are too cold.  So warming up by massaging with a towel and hands,, and trying to get fluids out from mouth and lungs, are the two most important.

Cats typically manage a little too long pregnacy better than humans.  I wont say its never too long, but its rare.  In difficult to judge - cases, its typically less dangerous to wait it out the natural delivery, than to risk a too hasty cesarean.

Unlike with humans, in fact.

So, if momma seems OK, no visible troubles, the advice is to wait on the third kitten still alive in her.

Of course, if you do have a vet whom is experienced with cats and cats obstetrics, its wise to consult him.