Stillborn kitten and delayed labor

Ctyndall91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat went into labor a couple of days ago, then just stopped. We discovered yesterday that there was a stillborn blocking the birth canal when we found that some of the kitten was coming out of her. We did manage to get it out. But now I'm wondering, is there any possibility she will have the rest at a later date, or will it be necessary to have a vet remove them?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cat went into labor a couple of days ago, then just stopped. We discovered yesterday that there was a stillborn blocking the birth canal when we found that some of the kitten was coming out of her. We did manage to get it out. But now I'm wondering, is there any possibility she will have the rest at a later date, or will it be necessary to have a vet remove them?
I would imagine if there are others, they are already dead from the one blocking the canal. This would be an emergency as they would be breaking down inside of her and releasing toxins. Get to a vet and have them check.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was the stillborn kitten full term? Did it have hair and appear to be fully developed?

An ultrasound would determine if the other kittens are still alive.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With a little luck there may be others still alive. And if they arent alive, they should be taken out in some suitable way.
The best and safest course is to consult your vet ASAP, for an ultrasound and advices.

Also, give her calcium rich food (lack of calcium causes weak labor).

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She needs to be seen by a vet asap. They can xray her to see if there's more kittens and give her meds to help stimulate contractions.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
This happened to a cat I rescued seven years ago. She couldn't push her kittens through and I had to get her to a vet immediately for a c-section. He was able to get the remaining three kittens out and to start breathing.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It truly depends on how far along she was. If the kitten was premature, there is a chance the others will be born OK. The only way to determine if the others are still alive is to bring her in and have them perform an ultrasound. She may need assistance to deliver the others. I'll pray for your sweet girl......

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that the original poster has not ghosted us! I would need more information especially about how the mother cat is doing. If she is not showing signs of distress, she should be observed closely and be fed KMR or raw goats milk to up her calcium intake in preparation for upcoming labor. If she is in distress and there are no funds for a vet, urgent appeals need to be made ASAP as well as arrangements with the vet's office for outside donations.