Still not eating 3 days after exploratory abdominal surgery

happylittlecapp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

So my cat, Marbles (about 7 years old, 13 lbs.), had exploratory abdominal surgery on 12/12 for suspected intestinal blockage.  She had been throwing up pieces of a plastic bag the night of 12/10 and continued to vomit, this time with blood and no interest in eating or drinking, on the morning of 12/11 which is when I took her into the vet.  They gave her an x-ray where it showed she was very backed up and tried an enema.  The first one worked okay but by the next day and after a 2nd enema, there was still more stuck in her small intestine that wasn't moving down and doctor recommended surgery. As it turned out, when they opened her up they were able to "run" her intestines and essentially push everything out manually without having to cut her actual intestines.  Nothing foreign came out and they're not sure what caused the problem.

I finally brought her home yesterday afternoon (12/14) even though they wanted to continue keeping her for observation.   I opted to bring her home because they don't have overnight or Sunday staff, so even though they said she'd be checked on, I wanted to keep a closer eye on her.  She hasn't eaten or drank anything on her own since before surgery and I am really starting to worry.  I've been force-feeding her A/D and a little water, because she's looking a little dehydrated this morning, but want to know if there's anything else I can try to get her interested in food or water again.  Here's what I've tried so far:

1-A/D (cold and warmed)

2- her regular dry food

3- tuna (cold and warmed)

And the medications she's on:

1-Amoxicillian for fever (103.0 yesterday), 2 cc every 12 hours

2-Buprenorphine, .4 cc every 12 hours (I opted to give her .2 cc the last couple of times because she's not showing too much pain)

3-Veraflox - 2 cc every 24 hours (was supposed to start this morning but somewhat hesitant to add a 2nd antibiotic to the mix)

4- Stool softener (bottle says Dss Caps) - 1 every 24 hours.  Opted not to give this morning because she had a little diarrhea last night.

I've been feeding her lukewarm A/D, but she'll only tolerate about 10 cc (2 tsp) every couple of hours.  She's holding it down well, but I'm still worried that she has zero interest in food and she's very swollen.  She has had one very soft, small bm and has urinated a few times since she's been home.  Just looking for info/advice from anyone who's been there and when I might need to consider taking her to a 24 hour place.  I will have to take her back tomorrow (monday) for more sub-cu fluids and to see what her temp is, at the very least.  Thanks so much!

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you're doing all the right things yet i agree a vet consult first thing monday is in order. 

Has she peed and pooped since surgery?  What's her total volume of food intake per day that you've been giving her?

Cats don't eat when they feel poorly and the surgery could account for this. So could her underlying condition or a post-surgical infection. Can you get a digital thermometer and some lubricant and temp her?

Last edited:

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd agree with stephenq that you should contact the vet. Good job, feeding her, I got a little concerned when I read the title of the thread, thinking that maybe the cat had no food for 3 days. Cats need food or they can develop fatty liver disease after 48 hours of no food.

Since you've already tried bribe food, I don't know that there's that much more to try in order to get her to eat on her own. Fortiflora is a good standby, but if you're tried dry food, their smells are similar. Maybe some really smelly food? Friskies smells really strong. You can try raising the dish or catnip.

Since you're giving antibiotics you might ask the vet if giving probiotics would be a good idea. You can give probiotics during the antibiotics course, but make sure it's at least 2 hours apart from the antibiotics dosage.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could also try human baby food chicken stage one and possibly dried fish flakes to increase interest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happylittlecapp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

It sounds like you're doing all the right things yet i agree a vet consult first thing monday is in order. 

Has she peed and pooped since surgery?  What's her total volume of food intake per day that you've been giving her?

Cats don't eat when they feel poorly and the surgery could account for this. So could her underlying condition or a post-surgical infection. Can you get a digital thermometer and some lubricant and temp her?
She has definitely urinated (both at the vet's and at home) since surgery.  Last night was her first bm, and it was very little, very soft/watery and very smelly....she's made quite a few attempts at the litter box today but hasn't pooped again.

I don't know how much food the vet techs gave her.  The only thing they noted was that they fed her 6cc of A/D on 12/13.  They may just be poor charters, so I'll have to ask about that tomorrow.  So far, since I brought her home yesterday afternoon at 2:30, she's only had a total of 30ccs...so about an ounce of A/D.  I'm about to make another attempt right now, though, and hopefully I can get most of it in her...she likes to spit it out. 

About the temping - I could try it but I'm not very confident about my medicine/food-giving abilities so the thought of taking her temp rectally kind of terrifies me.  She *feels* okay (cool, wet nose, cool ears) but I'm definitely no expert.  

Thanks for the help and advice....I'm going to try baby food and see if she has any interest in that.  Otherwise, I'll just stay the course until tomorrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happylittlecapp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I'd agree with stephenq that you should contact the vet. Good job, feeding her, I got a little concerned when I read the title of the thread, thinking that maybe the cat had no food for 3 days. Cats need food or they can develop fatty liver disease after 48 hours of no food.

Since you've already tried bribe food, I don't know that there's that much more to try in order to get her to eat on her own. Fortiflora is a good standby, but if you're tried dry food, their smells are similar. Maybe some really smelly food? Friskies smells really strong. You can try raising the dish or catnip.

Since you're giving antibiotics you might ask the vet if giving probiotics would be a good idea. You can give probiotics during the antibiotics course, but make sure it's at least 2 hours apart from the antibiotics dosage.
Sorry about the title....I was concerned when I read about fatty liver disease (especially since she's a bit on the heavy side), and the fact that she went Wednesday & Thursday with no food at all.  They took a cbc before surgery but nothing since.  Wonder if I should ask them for more bloodwork just in case. 

I'll definitely ask tomorrow about the probiotics.  I'm wondering if I should go ahead with the stool softener gel caps they gave me.  The vet tech said to just push it down her throat but I'm not sure I can do it.  

I'm mostly worried about hydration at this point, though.  Food is easier for me to get in her than water (I watched a great video on here last night on how to syringe-feed, but water seems to end up everywhere).  The good things I'm seeing are that she's able to walk around, has the desire to jump (she jumped on the couch when we first brought her home, so now I have to keep her in her crate with potty breaks) and she groomed herself this morning.  Poor thing is a mess.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is normal to not have a bowel movement for a day or two after an exploratory surgery.  However I would definitely call the vet first thing Monday morning.  I am dealing with a constipated kitty right now.  She is on Miralax (laxative) and appetite stimulants.  I would definitely try to get more food into her, at least 1 can of a/d per day.  Are you mixing it with water?  That helps it go down a little easier.  It is normal to expect diarrhea a few days after an enema.  My cat is finally back to normal now.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well her intestines need to fill up again before she can poor, or perhaps more accurately what she eats needs time to work its way through....

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you've got a lot of positives going on; they didn't have to incise the intenstine, she's alert and wanting to move about, she's keeping food down, she's urinated, and already pooped a little. Best thing.. she's got you looking after her! You're doing an awesome job.
 You can add more water to the A/D for hydration if you feel it's necessary. I'm afraid you're in for a long night because you care so much for her. Hope everything goes well, you both get some rest, and you get a good report tomorrow.