Still kinda sluggish after rabies vaccine, day 3

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunday at 4, Jackie got a rabies vaccine. Sunday night and Monday he was just sleeping and eating. Today (Tuesday around 4pm) he is moving about/playing but still seems a bit more tired than normal. My gut says provided he gains more energy every day, to just leave it be. If it gets worse, rush him to the vet.

Should I avoid giving him a rabies vaccine in the future or ask for it to be split between 2 vaccine appointments? If he wasn’t required to have a license, I would just not vaccinate him at all for rabies. He got the 3 year rabies vaccine.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If his issues keep subsiding, then the only thing to do is ask the vet about the specific type/brand of vaccine he got and to make a note on his chart about it. There are different ones as suggested above with the info Furballsmom Furballsmom provided. He has got 3 years to go after this one before he would need another.

How old is he? And is he indoor only? I know it depends on state regulations, but some vets have the 'right' to defer even rabies vaccines. Feeby had her last 3-year rabies vaccine in 2016, she was 12+yo at that time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has never reacted like that so I will bug petco about it. They do vaccine clinics, I gave it a try. He is required to be licensed/vaccinated against rabies to be in my apartment. I think it is a stupid rule but if he reacts like that again I may need his vet to document that reacts badly to that vaccine & can’t be vaccinated. I think maybe the clinic gave him a little to much or the brand was different? His last 3 year rabies shot did not do this.... nor did his rabies vaccines when he was a kitten (he is 4 years old.)

I will say the petco vet & vet tech did a great job distracting him with touch in 3 different places as he got poked..... he didn’t even notice. He will get his annual at his regular vet, in the spring.