Still Grieving, But I Want A Kitten... Too Soon?

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
I said I'd never have another cat after best kitty friend Delia passed Dec 29th 2014.
I was looking at rescue sites two weeks later*.
And on January 29th 2015, one month to the day of her dying, I adopted the first of my current 3.

*A friend shared a poem with me, which inspired me to look for a new kitty to help. Not a replacement, but a way to keep that love alive by passing it along.
I took the poem and put it over this pic of my Delia. I'd really love to get it printed and framed someday. :hearthrob:
FB_IMG_1544671392442.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't realize korean people liked cats lo
I think some of the older generation doesn’t love cats—I’m connected with an animal rescue group here and there’s sadly a lot of instances of street cats being purposely poisoned or having their shelters kicked down—but for the most part cats and (small) dogs are pretty well loved here!

You could name her Cornbread to go with Chili :lol:

For real though, some suggestions:
Celeste
Cocoa or CoCo
Caramel
Curry, Cumin
Cookie
Coffee
I might or might not be hungry ;)
I can’t decide if I want to eat curry or drink cocoa now!! ;)
These names are all so cute. I might just have to wait until I get her to see what suits her!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
m3rma1d m3rma1d : That poem was beautiful, but it was hard reading at the end, because like ans5181 ans5181 I think someone was cutting onions around me. :(

rosegold rosegold : I didn't say this in my post upthread, but I don't think it's too soon to be looking for a kitten. You have a huge, kind, caring heart, and just like the cat in the poem, Chai would want you to adopt and love another kitty, the way you did her. :hearthrob:

Chai would also probably want Chilli to have another companion to cherish her. :catrub:

And on that note, here's a TCS article for you to read:
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

As well as these two:
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I'm way late to the party and the decision has already been made, but I can't stop worrying about kitten#1.
While both kittens are absolutely adorable, kitten #1 seems to be in a not ideal home situation and may possibly have pica. It needs someone who will love and care for it accordingly. I mean, it hasn't even been vaccinated? That means it's not even getting basic care.
I just worry for the little sprite. She seems like she needs to be rescued. Then again, I'm the one who always falls for the one cowering in the corner of the cage. The one nobody else wants. I guess I always go for the underdog. It's amazing what a little love can do for a "wild child".:)

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know I'm way late to the party and the decision has already been made, but I can't stop worrying about kitten#1.
While both kittens are absolutely adorable, kitten #1 seems to be in a not ideal home situation and may possibly have pica. It needs someone who will love and care for it accordingly. I mean, it hasn't even been vaccinated? That means it's not even getting basic care.
I just worry for the little sprite. She seems like she needs to be rescued. Then again, I'm the one who always falls for the one cowering in the corner of the cage. The one nobody else wants. I guess I always go for the underdog. It's amazing what a little love can do for a "wild child".:)
I know, I feel this too. And she lives with 5 other siblings (who apparently all have the same problem of eating everything). :/ The kittens are all well socialized and adorable, so I think they will find homes despite their mischievousness and potential health issues, but I really wish I could’ve taken her too. Or I wish I had extra money to donate towards their vaccinations at least.

I totally feel you, I also always tend to go for the shy underdog that no one wants (example A: my beloved Chai!), but after all I just went through emotionally and financially with losing Chai I think I have to put health as a priority. Kitten #1 is certainly not shy or undesirable at all—she’s gorgeous, friendly, AND a little spitfire!—so I really do hope she can get a good home too. Ideally with some of her siblings.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, I feel this too. And she lives with 5 other siblings (who apparently all have the same problem of eating everything). :/ The kittens are all well socialized and adorable, so I think they will find homes despite their mischievousness and potential health issues, but I really wish I could’ve taken her too. Or I wish I had extra money to donate towards their vaccinations at least.

I totally feel you, I also always tend to go for the shy underdog that no one wants (example A: my beloved Chai!), but after all I just went through emotionally and financially with losing Chai I think I have to put health as a priority. Kitten #1 is certainly not shy or undesirable at all—she’s gorgeous, friendly, AND a little spitfire!—so I really do hope she can get a good home too. Ideally with some of her siblings.
There's nothing wrong with kitten #2. She's what you need right now. It's ok to look out for yourself.

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are soooooooo many kittens...and tooooooo few forever homes. Go somewhere and look at some new 2018 year model kittens. They will you what to do, and when to do it... I promise ya they will.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cayenne ...

My Kayenne had a different spelling, her name at the rescue was Kai. ( not making this up, really !) I wasn't sure how to pronounce it so I was thinking of changing her name... My husband came out with Kayenne...the rest is history.
I don't thing Chai would mind you using part of her name...:catrub:

Your kitten looks like such a sweetheart !!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve decided to go with the second kitten. I’m trying to just stick with my gut feeling that getting a kitten is the right thing for me right now, and focus on the excitement and energy of bringing her home soon rather than all the what-ifs... even though I’ve had a few friends tell me disapprovingly that they think it’s too soon and rushed (and other friends and all my family telling me to stop agonizing and just go for it, so definitely some mixed messages there!).

I really appreciate the replies of everyone on this thread. Thank you so much for sharing your stories and advice. You all are so wonderful and caring. :hearthrob:

The (nameless as of yet) kitten is sure a cutiepie! I thought of calling her Clove to stick with the “C” names and as a sort of homage to Chai, but we’ll have to see what suits her personality. Any suggestions do send them along! I like one- or two-syllable names, food names, nature names, movie/game/book character names... :)

No matter what I think she will be a lovely little Christmas present for me and Chilli. Chilli might not agree just yet ;)

First photo taken about 2 weeks ago and the second two are from when she was a baby. She’s already growing up fast! Her mom was a feral street cat, but thankfully this baby and her brother were taken inside with mom to be raised in a warm safe home.
View attachment 266044
View attachment 266045
View attachment 266046
Here are some you might want to consider:
Korean girl names starting with C?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Cayenne, myself. I agree - kitten #2 is the right choice. It's hard enough for an adult to get used to a kitten without having said kitten be unusually feisty!

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
These are all great suggestions! I think Cayenne is really cute too and goes great with Chilli. I suppose I could also just have Chilli and Pepper. ;)

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I said I'd never have another cat after best kitty friend Delia passed Dec 29th 2014.
I was looking at rescue sites two weeks later*.
And on January 29th 2015, one month to the day of her dying, I adopted the first of my current 3.

*A friend shared a poem with me, which inspired me to look for a new kitty to help. Not a replacement, but a way to keep that love alive by passing it along.
I took the poem and put it over this pic of my Delia. I'd really love to get it printed and framed someday. :hearthrob:
View attachment 266124
SO beautiful. Thank you for sharing that.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got a couple updated pictures of my kitten today and I wanted to share. :) She looks scared in these photos because they were taken at the vet, but she got her 3rd vaccinations today and was cleared as healthy and ready to go by the vet! I’ll still probably take her to my own vet soon after getting her just to make sure. But her current caretakers seem really hands-on with her health and are going to give all the records and proofs to me. Maybe that’s just ordinary procedure—when I adopted Chai she was sick and I couldn’t get any medical history no matter how much I begged, so this is very refreshing for me.

Kitten pictures below :)
Her eye color has changed a bit since the photos from two weeks ago. I think she is so lovely!
I think Clove is in the lead name-wise, but still waiting until I get her to see if it fits.
6CB1CE0C-123B-41A1-BF4A-24861A3EE911.jpeg

258399FD-79FA-4F18-A94C-AF8A16ED9C8E.jpeg

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is so precious!! It's going to be a very happy holiday for you (if you happen to celebrate any holidays this season, no assumptions lol)! She does look like a Clove :)

Oh, and it's great that her caregiver is doing all the right things, it makes the process so easy for you! Can't wait to see your baby at home!