Still Feeding The Ferals I Hope To Take Some Day.

nomeowing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted some time back about the 3 ferals I feed at my workplace. I received nice replies and encouragement which I appreciated greatly. My hope was to take the two bonded ones if I could find a place to buy in a mobile home park. I'm now 60. But I'm yet to find anything. Prices have gone up due to low inventory related to fires. So I keep looking. (and I'm very down about it and loosing hope)

A new un-neutered male has shown up and I'm feeding him also. Yesterday I took some pictures of them for the first time and the camera click scared all of them. So this got me thinking about how cats who have been brought inside adjust to the household noise. They are used to cars in the parking lot but hang out in the bushes and gulch behind the building. But they are not used to TV noise (though I'd keep them in a separate room at first), doors, cupboards, AC/heat blowing. Those with experience have you had problems with the noise adjustment. I live alone and I'm not noisy.

Also I could use some good thoughts for those kitties. Thank you everyone.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted some time back about the 3 ferals I feed at my workplace. I received nice replies and encouragement which I appreciated greatly. My hope was to take the two bonded ones if I could find a place to buy in a mobile home park. I'm now 60. But I'm yet to find anything. Prices have gone up due to low inventory related to fires. So I keep looking. (and I'm very down about it and loosing hope)

A new un-neutered male has shown up and I'm feeding him also. Yesterday I took some pictures of them for the first time and the camera click scared all of them. So this got me thinking about how cats who have been brought inside adjust to the household noise. They are used to cars in the parking lot but hang out in the bushes and gulch behind the building. But they are not used to TV noise (though I'd keep them in a separate room at first), doors, cupboards, AC/heat blowing. Those with experience have you had problems with the noise adjustment. I live alone and I'm not noisy.

Also I could use some good thoughts for those kitties. Thank you everyone.
Hello,

Thank you for taking care of and caring about the ferals.

Is there any chance you can trap/neuter/release the intact male? If you contact Alley Cat Allies they have a list of people in areas that do that. Maybe in your area there is someone.

So, I take in ferals and all my vats have been ferals. I find that they adjust fine to noises indoors. Some can stay skittish for a while but providing love, food, water, warm bedding, litter boxes etc give them a lot of trust and they realize some noises are not that worrying or they bounce back quickly from any noises.

So on noises I wouldn't worry too much. Now, ferals can take a while to warm up and we can help you socialize them, etc.

I hope you can find a new home at a great price. :) You certainly deserve it!!

Thank you so much for caring about the cats and always feel free to contact us. :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yesterday I took some pictures of them for the first time and the camera click scared all of them. So this got me thinking about how cats who have been brought inside adjust to the household noise. They are used to cars in the parking lot but hang out in the bushes and gulch behind the building. But they are not used to TV noise (though I'd keep them in a separate room at first), doors, cupboards, AC/heat blowing. Those with experience have you had problems with the noise adjustment. I live alone and I'm not noisy.
I agree with all C calicosrspecial mentioned.

Cats are smart. They know if they are given love. Anything new to them, they are extremely cautious even thought they are used to cars and such while living outdoors.
The camera clicking could be new to them as you are in a certain position with an object that they are not used to seeing you in together with the clicking sound.

Once they are indoors, they'll get used to the things around them after a while. And with you not being thew noisy type, it'll be much faster for the cats to get used to being indoors. They may still be skittish at times, but it's only for that moment and you can help them overcome it as they know that you are the only person they can trust ands with all the love showered on them, they'll feel safe indoors even though they get surprise every now and then but they'll still feel safe.

Sone cats are extra skittish. My boy who is a rescue and have been living with us since he was 3 weeks old and he's coming to be 6 years old soon and he still jumps at the flick of the light switch at times but he knows he safe at home with us. And yes, extremely loud sounds my boy is still afraid of it and my home is very quiet, just like you. We don't yell in the house or rough handle things in the house that makes lots of noise.

With the peaceful set up in your house, I'm sure the cats will appreciate it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nomeowing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your replies. I know the new one needs to be neutered. We have a trap, spay and release organization in this town funded by a thrift store that does good business. The issue is, they say they have trouble finding the vets to fix the animals and a practicing vet in this town that was one who helped died.

I'll have to call them. I hate to trap and return that boy to that gulch. I'm tired of worrying about them. There are people at work who say they like the cats but not one has ever stepped up to offer to help with true reliability. I can get one woman, she'll put food out if I bring it but is sketchy with the water. I've had to utilize her a couple of times such as when I had out patient surgery but I was always worried.

But what I need is a place to buy. I can't bring them to my one bedroom apartment as I don't know their litter box status. If I buy a place, I can make sure I have an extra room and have linoleum installed if needed.

Also what if they test feline leukemia positive? My two indoor cats are immunized of coarse.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your replies. I know the new one needs to be neutered. We have a trap, spay and release organization in this town funded by a thrift store that does good business. The issue is, they say they have trouble finding the vets to fix the animals and a practicing vet in this town that was one who helped died.

I'll have to call them. I hate to trap and return that boy to that gulch. I'm tired of worrying about them. There are people at work who say they like the cats but not one has ever stepped up to offer to help with true reliability. I can get one woman, she'll put food out if I bring it but is sketchy with the water. I've had to utilize her a couple of times such as when I had out patient surgery but I was always worried.

But what I need is a place to buy. I can't bring them to my one bedroom apartment as I don't know their litter box status. If I buy a place, I can make sure I have an extra room and have linoleum installed if needed.

Also what if they test feline leukemia positive? My two indoor cats are immunized of coarse.
"Thanks so much for your replies." - You are welcome.

" I know the new one needs to be neutered. We have a trap, spay and release organization in this town funded by a thrift store that does good business. The issue is, they say they have trouble finding the vets to fix the animals and a practicing vet in this town that was one who helped died." - Ok. Hopefully they can find a new vet etc. Fingers crossed.

"I'll have to call them." - Great

" I hate to trap and return that boy to that gulch. I'm tired of worrying about them. " - I know. :( In a perfect world we would find homes for them all. But the world is not perfect. :( Neutering will help avoid new cats and hopefully avoid fights. Being a feral is tough. All we can do is our best. I do TNR and I know the feelings but I can't think of a better alternative and relocating is dangerous as well. :(

"There are people at work who say they like the cats but not one has ever stepped up to offer to help with true reliability." - Yes. That is common sadly.

" I can get one woman, she'll put food out if I bring it but is sketchy with the water. I've had to utilize her a couple of times such as when I had out patient surgery but I was always worried." - Yes. You have to focus on yourself and not stress and harm yourself. Cats are resilient and eating mice is a great balance of protein and water/hydration. Ferals (even spoiled ones) are good to surviving if needed.

"But what I need is a place to buy. I can't bring them to my one bedroom apartment as I don't know their litter box status. If I buy a place, I can make sure I have an extra room and have linoleum installed if needed." - Yes. Usually they pick up the liter box really easy. BUT I tottaly understand and we can address that when needed. Don't worry.

"Also what if they test feline leukemia positive? " - Well, that we would have to deal with.

"My two indoor cats are immunized of coarse. " - Oh my, I didn't realize you already have cats. That does complicate it a bit. I do intros and intro ferals all the time but it can be a challenge sometimes. It can take a lot of time and effort.

Please don't stress, we will figure things out. :) We'll do what is best for everyone.