Sticky poop?

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hx: stage 4 kidney disease. Subq fluids daily
Miralax and phosphate binder

Rascal is having a hard time pooping and when a bit comes out it is not formed and it is sticky...kinda like peanut butter 🤮 it must have a hard time getting all the way down the intestines.
Any thoughts?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like if it isn't formed, you might be giving too much Miralax. I gave my last two kidney cats Miralax, and had to adjust their dosage often. Are you giving it twice a day? That's what our Vet said to do. And to give between 1/8th and 1/4 teaspoon each time. I dissolved it in a little bit of water, then mixed that into a teeny bit of food to make sure they got it before I gave them any more food.

Also, I read that with humans, peanut butter, sticky consistency stool can be the result of too much fat in their diet. Couldn't find anything about cat with that same consistency, but you might look at what you are feeding. Are you giving any other meds or supplements? Have you called your Vet to ask about this. They might also have some suggestions. When my cats were in Stage 4, my Vet was on speed dial :wink: :frown:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will call my vet tmrw when they open. He just pooped again but only an acorn size came out. He is on no supplements. I will see if the food is too fattyHow did your kitty do while in stage 4? Did you have much time together once it hit that point?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I will call my vet tmrw when they open. He just pooped again but only an acorn size came out. He is on no supplements. I will see if the food is too fattyHow did your kitty do while in stage 4? Did you have much time together once it hit that point?
You know, I honestly didn't keep track of what stage they were in (I've had three kidney cats in total). I just loved them and pampered them and let them go when they told me they were ready. All three of them lived three years once they were diagnosed, and none were even diagnosed until they were pretty far along in the disease. That's how it works for most, you don't even realize they are ill until it's already pretty far along :frown:

We never did daily fluids though. sometimes three times a week, but mostly just twice a week. And with our first one, no fluids. It was so long ago that wasn't even an option I guess.