Steve choked on his food- (but turned out okay!!)

paul n steve

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay. This is a very hard story for me to tell, because when I think about it I can cry. But everything turned out well and I learned a lesson.

Our food & water dish used to be on the floor. Steve was eating one day and my boyfriend accidentally stepped on his tail. Well, Steve breathed in really quick while he must of had food in his mouth and the food got stuck in his throat- he was having trouble breathing. I was trying to push on his lungs like the heimlich, I tried reaching in his throat to pull it out-  He was gasping for air as we rushed him to the nearest animal hospital, 

I was in the backseat of the car with him (he was in a box) and finally- FINALLY- the piece of food must have either melted or went down- THANK THE CAT GODS because if anything were to happen to my baby I don't think I would have been able to go on. :(

So now I have moved the food dish & water up onto a small dresser, to avoid any accident tail stepping ons. 

Has anyone ever had this happen to their cat. I don't leave small objects or toys around on the floor, because I'm afraid of them taking it into their mouths and accidentally choking on them. :(

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had this happen in a cat, but my chihuahua has choked before, I had to stick my finger way down her throat to get it out.  She was turning blue.