STERILIZED KIBBLE OR REGULAR KIBBLE?

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve been trying to find another brand of dry food for my three cats (two of them are fixed and the other cat will be fixed in November)

AMANOVA SALMON (50% of SALMON)
At first I was feeding my cats with Amanova Sterilized Cat Food Salmon Flavoured GRAIN FREE,but it’s difficult to get (45’ car ride) and overpriced (25€ for 2kg)

ULTIMA SALMON STERLIZED CATS (15% of SALMON)
Someone bought 4 packs of 1,5 kg of this food for my cats but it’s NOT GRAIN FREE and my cats are getting fatter with this food,also its second main ingredient is rice... the only good thing about this food is that I can get it online

TRUE INSTINCT/NATURE’S VARIETY
This brand seems to be good but at least in the salmon flavour there is no taurine...and it’s NOT GRAIN FREE so for me I think this is a big no.
Also they’ve changed their prices and their Brand Name so idk I’m really insecure about this one.
(I cannot find the ingredients on Amazon...🤔)

LIFELONG (AMAZON) 40% FRESH SALMON
I never thought Amazon Brand could have good kibble but here it is... 40% of fresh salmon and GRAIN FREE but it’s not for sterilised cats however it has a better composition than 50% of cheap sterilized kibble and with no grain I think my cats won’t get fat (they have three meals a day and an hour of playtime with me)

TASTE OF THE WILD (EITHER ROCKY MOUNTAIN OR CANYON RIVER)
19% of fish.
..like are you joking me? I’ve always thought Taste Of The Wild was a good brand but this ain’t making me this any easier.
First of all I live in Spain and this kind of kibble is hard to find (only on Amazon or Zooplus) and now I see it’s out of stock on both sites... Is this choice really worthy?

WHICH ONE WOULD YOU STICK TO...?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are you expecting the food to do? Is it for weight control? Is it to build muscles? Perhaps to tempt picky eaters? What is the calorie count in each food? Grain free or not, calories are calories.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd avoid any food that is seafood based. Seafood can be addicting to some cats and there are concerns with mercury with some types of fish. As an occasional meal or treat, seafood is fine.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've never fed a food based on whether or not the cat has been steralized. I'm not sure what the difference would be :dunno:.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd avoid any food that is seafood based. Seafood can be addicting to some cats and there are concerns with mercury with some types of fish. As an occasional meal or treat, seafood is fine.

[/URL]
[/URL]
One of my cats hates anything made of chicken or meat...even raw meat so I just feed him with salmon kibble 🤷🏻‍♀️

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats hates anything made of chicken or meat...even raw meat so I just feed him with salmon kibble 🤷🏻‍♀️
How many different proteins (non fish) have you tried? How many different brands? Wet food? Pate, shreds, in gravy?

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats hates anything made of chicken or meat...
How many different proteins (non fish) have you tried? How many different brands? Wet food? Pate, shreds, in gravy?
The only thing my cat had eaten that is not salmon/fish flavoured is Dreamies but I only give him 6 a day 🤔 about wet food...that is where the problem started...he won’t eat any wet food if it is not made of salmon,only salmon! He is a really picky eater and he has been like this since he was 3 months old...he doesn’t like tuna wet food,shrimp or anything else that is seafood.
My other two cats are good eating meat,it’s just him and I don’t want to delete the salmon from this diet because he manifest stress in an aggressive way to the other cats...I could give a try to meat kibble,but he won’t eat it unless there is salmon wet food as a topping

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I generally like sterilized cat food not because they are lower in fat compared to many of the regular kibble brands, but because in many cases their calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium amounts are regulated in such a way to potentially reduce the risk of crystal and stone development. Encourage your cats to drink and try to add wet food since a moisture rich diet is important in helping the kidneys manage the amount of minerals in their bodies. I know you haven't asked for suggestions, but since you are in Spain, you can check out Ownat Sterilized Grain Free cat food which, in my opinion, is a good brand. They have 2 versions: Just formula has 12% fresh chicken: Sterilized while the Prime formula has 50% fresh turkey and chicken (but also has dehydrated fish in it): Sterilized
Their wet line is also good: Wetline
I would not feed Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain because it is relatively higher in calcium and phosphorus compared to what I normally feed my cats. If you care about the food being for sterilized cats, I'd stick to Ultima even though it is not grain free. Rice is not a bad grain as others are.

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I generally like sterilized cat food not because they are lower in fat compared to many of the regular kibble brands, but because in many cases their calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium amounts are regulated in such a way to potentially reduce the risk of crystal and stone development. Encourage your cats to drink and try to add wet food since a moisture rich diet is important in helping the kidneys manage the amount of minerals in their bodies. I know you haven't asked for suggestions, but since you are in Spain, you can check out Ownat Sterilized Grain Free cat food which, in my opinion, is a good brand. They have 2 versions: Just formula has 12% fresh chicken: Sterilized while the Prime formula has 50% fresh turkey and chicken (but also has dehydrated fish in it): Sterilized
Their wet line is also good: Wetline
I would not feed Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain because it is relatively higher in calcium and phosphorus compared to what I normally feed my cats. If you care about the food being for sterilized cats, I'd stick to Ultima even though it is not grain free. Rice is not a bad grain as others are.
Thank you,I’ve tried Ownat Dry Food (the purple bag for sterlized cats) when I got my cat fixed but the kibble was way to big compared with the small kibble they are used to eat

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you,I’ve tried Ownat Dry Food (the purple bag for sterlized cats) when I got my cat fixed but the kibble was way to big compared with the small kibble they are used to eat
I had the same issue with the Just version, but the Prime one (purple/pinkish bag) has a smaller kibble size. Was it grain free?