stella & chewy's on backorder everywhere

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They've eliminated the .8 oz "individual portion" size. Which, of course, was the perfect size for my uses.

They claim an intent to add other sizes besides the 12 oz bag, later this summer. Whoop-de-do.

Last edited:

ionela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I waited for months for the new supply to arrive, but my cat doesn't like it anymore. He was in love with the old batches. His favorite ones were Turkey ans Duck/Goose. Now he barely touch them. Is anybody else noticing this with their cats? I am wondering if the company changed the formula or the process.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I waited for months for the new supply to arrive, but my cat doesn't like it anymore. He was in love with the old batches. His favorite ones were Turkey ans Duck/Goose. Now he barely touch them. Is anybody else noticing this with their cats? I am wondering if the company changed the formula or the process.
Our cats still love it but the food does seem a little different: the nuggets seem firmer, less crumbly.

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My two have grown a bit tired of a steady diet of the chicken, but I can still get them to eat a meal of it every couple days I think. Will try some other flavors. Meantime a can that had gone out of favor is seeing some new attention. Such is the way with cats. If they stop eating something, give it a few weeks or months and try again. ;-)

ionela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Lisa, I noticed too that the food is not  crumbly anymore. My cat ate the old one dry, maybe the new one is harder to chew. But he doesn't like it much even when I hydrate it.

Thank 2bcat for your reply. I did not know cats can get bored of their favorite foods, I am glad to learn this. I will try to rotate with other foods, maybe he will  enjoy Stella again.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you Lisa, I noticed too that the food is not  crumbly anymore. My cat ate the old one dry, maybe the new one is harder to chew. But he doesn't like it much even when I hydrate it.

Thank 2bcat for your reply. I did not know cats can get bored of their favorite foods, I am glad to learn this. I will try to rotate with other foods, maybe he will  enjoy Stella again.
Maybe your cat would eat the Stella & Chewy's if you crumbled a little on (or even into) some other food?

And what @2bcat says about boredom, variety, and rotations is very, very true! Our cats are pretty good about eating Primal food twice a day but we make it in varying combinations and proportions of all four Primal freeze-dried foods plus some Stella & Chewy's to keep them from getting too bored. And the canned part of their diet includes 10-15 foods (I don't even know, particularly because there are a few "variety meals" that they only get occasionally) even though it's a smaller part of their diet than raw. They also get a large frozen raw food snack each day and that rotates between RadCat turkey and chicken, and Stella & Chewy's Duck, Duck, Goose. They even got tired of their RadCat turkey -- their favorite! -- when I fed it to them three days in a row.

Good luck!

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so thrilled. The local Pet Food Store my son works at started carrying S&C's. They sell it for $20.99 a bag. Because my son works there I get 20% off, so I pay $16 and some odd cents. I usually by from Pet Food Express where it sells for $26.99 per bag. They do have their ' buy 3 get the 4th for free' deal, but now I can save even more by buying where my son works.

Hmm, what does it say about my exciting life when this is big news?

Last edited:

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am so thrilled. The local Pet Food Store my son works at started carrying S&C's. They sell it for $20.99 a bag. Because my son works there I get 20% off, so I pay $16 and some odd cents. I usually by from Pet Food Express where it sells for $26.99 per bag. They do have their ' buy 3 get the 4th for free' deal, but now I can save even more by buying where my son works.

Lucky you!!!

I wish my cats liked S&C's - I bought a bag the other day, duck, duck goose - I had to "season" it with LID treats in order for them to eat it. My pref would be S&C over Primal but the cats really love the latter more, despite the amount of veggies. 

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I'd be excited about that too!  Although right now I'm looking for discounts on Tiki Cat more than anything.  $16.xx/bag is as good as it gets, and if you can get that all the time without having to find an elusive special from Pet360 or whatever, that's huge.

I'm going to start seeing if they'll eat a mostly S&C bowl with some Tiki Puka Puka chicken on top.  This works right now with a mixed canned meal, using Cats in the Kitchen Fowl Ball that I still had a case of.  One cat (the heavy one, of course) likes Fowl Ball straight, but the other isn't as keen.  But if it's mixed with the Tiki the less keen little cat scarfs it down just as quickly as if it were straight Tiki.  The Tiki costs so much, even from Chewy.com or such, that something like Cats in the Kitchen is significantly less.  They love the Tiki and it's great food, but I'm trying not to have to feed them 100% that all the time because I have to draw a cost line somewhere!

I tried the Primal pork and didn't get any traction with that, bought a small bag at the local shop, they said they thought I was the first person to buy it.  But I only offered them a straight bowl.  Will try mixing with that too.

They ate the S&C chicken straight pretty well, up until just a couple weeks ago.  All same batch, I bought 15 bags back in like Jan or Feb.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Lucky you!!!

I wish my cats liked S&C's - I bought a bag the other day, duck, duck goose - I had to "season" it with LID treats in order for them to eat it. My pref would be S&C over Primal but the cats really love the latter more, despite the amount of veggies. 
Edit:

My picky cat Molly just ate up a plate of SC's *without* me having to add anything on top, yay!

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I tried the Primal pork and didn't get any traction with that, bought a small bag at the local shop, they said they thought I was the first person to buy it
Ha! That's funny actually. My local retailer told me thus far I'm the only person buying the FD pork, I've been using it now for about 3 weeks, my cats really love it.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is so funny you said that. The bags I have been getting actually seem more crumbly and less firm.I swear. I was just thinking about that a few minutes before I read your comment.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats did just love the Duck, duck goose. This time around they seem less  than thrilled. They also seem less than thrilled with the Chick, Chick, Chicken.I am wondering about what is going on with my cats. They are both perfectly healthy but it seems lately that they aren't as thrilled at meal time as they used to be. This is true with everything I feed whether it is S&C's, or even all the different foods I buy from Hare-Today.

I have a feeling that it is because they knew I had some kibble in my house for awhile. I feed kibble 5 days a week to a little feral and two days a week wet /canned. My guys had such fits trying to get to it that I had to keep it in the trunk of my car!

I think they have tried to go on strike for kibble.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
since s&c has been back in stock places, i've noticed the little nuggets are a bit different than the used to be in shape and texture. i feel like they rehydrate a bit faster. my cats don't seem to enjoy it any less. i've fed the chick chick chicken, duck duck goose, and tummy ticklin' turkey and all three have gone over well. i'm also getting it for a much better price than i used to so i'm feeding it more often and cooking less because i'm really lazy.