Stella and Chewy's ingredient change!!

louche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That sucks. Grimmy really likes the chicken and turkey. And BONUS: little to no poo smell. I want to stick to freeze-dried raw in case of some spontaneous happenings. Seems like most the stores here are limited but I am very much considering NW Naturals (if I can find it or special order it), and in the future, EZComplete....

<3

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must have bought an old bag. This is for freeze dried raw right? I bought a turkey one recently just to try it out and it didnt have any of the 2 ingredients in it. I guess i wont be buying it again because im not okay with the poisonous menadione sodium bisulfate. If they have to add that it means the protein theyre using is lower in quality.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must have bought an old bag. This is for freeze dried raw right? I bought a turkey one recently just to try it out and it didnt have any of the 2 ingredients in it. I guess i wont be buying it again because im not okay with the poisonous menadione sodium bisulfate. If they have to add that it means the protein theyre using is lower in quality.
There are old bags going out still. I buy from Amazon and they still have the old bags. But likely it already contains the new ingredients, it's just not on the label, because legally pet food companies can change ingredients and have 6 months before they have to update their labels. I don't feed S&C exclusively so it's not a huge issue for me. 

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That sucks. Grimmy really likes the chicken and turkey. And BONUS: little to no poo smell. I want to stick to freeze-dried raw in case of some spontaneous happenings. Seems like most the stores here are limited but I am very much considering NW Naturals (if I can find it or special order it), and in the future, EZComplete....

<3
Northwest Naturals and EZcomplete are both popular here! I also like feeding Feline Natural. And I completely agree with you about the convenience of freeze-dried: it's great to just be able to mix up whatever you need, in whatever combination you want to feed. Most meals we feed have at least two kinds of food.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are old bags going out still. I buy from Amazon and they still have the old bags. But likely it already contains the new ingredients, it's just not on the label, because legally pet food companies can change ingredients and have 6 months before they have to update their labels. I don't feed S&C exclusively so it's not a huge issue for me. 
Ah thanks good to know.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also wanted to tell you guys about the observation ive made about this food. My ginger boy was originally on 50/50 canned and dry. He had urinal issues so i switched him to canned and primal freeze dried. His poo smell improved, poo got smaller and his fur stopped falling out so much. When he was on half dry you would give him scratches and small patches of fur would be flying out. Then i started feeding him the stella and chewy turkey freeze dried and his poos started getting stinky again, got bigger and the fur loss increased. This has led me to believe stella and chewy isnt that great of a raw food brand.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also wanted to tell you guys about the observation ive made about this food. My ginger boy was originally on 50/50 canned and dry. He had urinal issues so i switched him to canned and primal freeze dried. His poo smell improved, poo got smaller and his fur stopped falling out so much. When he was on half dry you would give him scratches and small patches of fur would be flying out. Then i started feeding him the stella and chewy turkey freeze dried and his poos started getting stinky again, got bigger and the fur loss increased. This has led me to believe stella and chewy isnt that great of a raw food brand.
YMMV. My cat does well on about 50% freeze dried and 50% homemade raw. His stools don't smell. He likes S&C the most but I also use Instinct raw market and Fresh is best. He doesn't like NWN that much, for some reason. I wouldn't throw S&C into the "not good" category but it has some issues, as basically all commercial foods do. 

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YMMV. My cat does well on about 50% freeze dried and 50% homemade raw. His stools don't smell. He likes S&C the most but I also use Instinct raw market and Fresh is best. He doesn't like NWN that much, for some reason. I wouldn't throw S&C into the "not good" category but it has some issues, as basically all commercial foods do. 
With properly made home made raw you probably cant go too wrong with the other 50%. I didnt mean to offend or anything. I was just disappointed that it didnt seem to work out that great for my ginger boy. My black kitty is on 100% primal frozen raw nuggets but i dont have the freezer space for the raw for my ginger so ive been looking into freeze dried raw for him. He seems to do well on primal and natures variety instinct raw market.

Last edited:

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With properly made home made raw you probably cant go too wrong with the other 50%. I didnt mean to offend or anything. I was just disappointed that it didnt seem to work out that great for my ginger boy. My black kitty is on 100% primal frozen raw nuggets but i dont have the freezer space for the raw for my ginger so ive been looking into freeze dried raw for him. He seems to do well on primal and natures variety instinct raw market.
No worries. There may be something in the S&C that just doesn't agree with your kitty. My other 9 cats wont even touch S&C lol. I'd like my old guy to eat 100% homemade raw but he wont. So I have to keep changing it up for him. 

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No worries. There may be something in the S&C that just doesn't agree with your kitty. My other 9 cats wont even touch S&C lol. I'd like my old guy to eat 100% homemade raw but he wont. So I have to keep changing it up for him. 
Woah you have 10 cats and do you feed all of them some raw? Wow! At first my ginger was kinda meh about S&C. I noticed it doesnt have as strong of a smell as primal and it had more of a gooey consistency than primal. Let me know if you know of any other freeze dried raw brands that worked out for you.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woah you have 10 cats and do you feed all of them some raw? Wow! At first my ginger was kinda meh about S&C. I noticed it doesnt have as strong of a smell as primal and it had more of a gooey consistency than primal. Let me know if you know of any other freeze dried raw brands that worked out for you.
Yeah. 7 eat about 90% raw I make and some RC and a tiny amount of canned as a snack, one eats RC and some canned, one eats 100% canned, and one eats 50% FD 50% homemade raw. Fresh is Best is pretty good. It's a lot different consistency than both Primal and S&C, it's more crumbly and dry, but almost all my cats like it. It does have some fruits and veggies but less than Primal. Really good company, too. My cats go insane over their freeze dried meat treats. Northwest Naturals is good too, but for whatever reason mine aren't crazy about once i add water. I've been using it as a topper on raw. 

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. 7 eat about 90% raw I make and some RC and a tiny amount of canned as a snack, one eats RC and some canned, one eats 100% canned, and one eats 50% FD 50% homemade raw. Fresh is Best is pretty good. It's a lot different consistency than both Primal and S&C, it's more crumbly and dry, but almost all my cats like it. It does have some fruits and veggies but less than Primal. Really good company, too. My cats go insane over their freeze dried meat treats. Northwest Naturals is good too, but for whatever reason mine aren't crazy about once i add water. I've been using it as a topper on raw. 
Thanks for the recs. Its a little out of my price range but they seem like theyre really good foods. Ill keep it in mind in case i get an economic upgrade later. :) i switched my ginger to half raw once i got a promotion lol.

Last edited:

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another freeze dried alternative is Nature Variety Raw Market.  It's about the same price as S&C and contains no starch.  It's got 5% leafy greens, berries and such, but no pea products or potatoes.  Also take a look at Primal, although I don't remember what their filler ingredients (10%) are.

With 8 cats, freeze dried is an awfully expensive diet, as is Rad Cat and the pre-mixed supplements like EZComplete with boneless meat.  I'd definitely look into homemade options, either following the catinfo.org recipe (grinder and all) or buy frozen grinds online (Hare Today or My Pet Carnivore).  A local raw feeding coop could be a great option also, if available.

cindycrna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I started my 2 kittens (12 weeks, 5 months) on Stella and Chewys. While my 12 week old is growing like a weed, my 5 month old is sick and I  don't know if it is related to the S&C. He has lost weight, very poor appetite and low grade temperature. We.are running every test. No diarrhea, 5 month old is from a high end shelter. I am worried there was something in the S&C that has made him sick. Anyone else have a similar story?

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think S&C is still fine in rotation. The pea fiber doesn't bother me, although I think it's unnecessary, but the synthetic vitamin K is a bummer. However, it's a small amount so if you feed it in rotation I think it's fine. There is no commercial food (other than Rad Cat) which doesn't have anything that's controversial in them. Even the best canned foods, Ziwipeak and Feline Naturals, aren't perfect. 

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

I think S&C is still fine in rotation. The pea fiber doesn't bother me, although I think it's unnecessary, but the synthetic vitamin K is a bummer. However, it's a small amount so if you feed it in rotation I think it's fine. There is no commercial food (other than Rad Cat) which doesn't have anything that's controversial in them. Even the best canned foods, Ziwipeak and Feline Naturals, aren't perfect. 
Thanks for the info, from reading your other posts I know you have done your research about nutrition.  That eases my mind and makes me feel a great deal more comfortable.

MikoYuui

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to make you all aware of ingredient changes to Stella and Chewy's. I couldn't find anything posted about this, forgive me if I missed it.
You may have noticed the new sizes and packaging for S & C. Unfortunately that's not all the changed. They are now adding pea powder and synthetic vitamin K, menadione sodium bisulfate. These are changes to their freeze dried. I have contacted the company and told them of my displeasure with these two ingredients. Their response was that leafy greens can cause urinary issues in cats. I would rather take my chances feeding leafy greens for vitamin k than feeding my cats something that has been banned in OTC supplements for humans.
I also have a cat that has FIV. I don't want to give her any thing knowingly that could potentially harm her immune system.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I overreacting or do you agree?
yes, it's terrible! I have feed my pets S&C for over two years, they loved it! But all in a sudden, they start to have very soft poop, and sometimes diarrhea!. Then the pet store owner told me they have changed the ingredients. Also, they changed the source of most of the protein.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, it's terrible! I have feed my pets S&C for over two years, they loved it! But all in a sudden, they start to have very soft poop, and sometimes diarrhea!. Then the pet store owner told me they have changed the ingredients. Also, they changed the source of most of the protein.
The good news, though, is that they've taken those ingredients back out of their foods. I'm not sure what the "use by" date is that you need to look for to be sure to avoid the peas and menadione but I'm sure that if you call the company, they can tell you.