Stella And Chewy's Frozen Medallions

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried the Stella and Chewy's frozen medallions? I saw these at the pet store today and bought the turkey one.

Stella's Selects - Stella & Chewy's Pet Food
I hadn't even heard of them. Did your cats already try them? If so, how did they go over? They sound pretty good, particularly since there's no bone. I guess the calcium is from the calcium carbonate, so basically (I guess?...) pretty much like egg shell?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not tried them yet. It seems like a good snack for Leroy. Fingers crossed it doesn't give him an IBD flare up:crossfingers: It's turkey so it should be ok but with Leroy being a weirdo cat, who knows?:rolleyes:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not tried them yet. It seems like a good snack for Leroy. Fingers crossed it doesn't give him an IBD flare up:crossfingers: It's turkey so it should be ok but with Leroy being a weirdo cat, who knows?:rolleyes:
I hope they work for Leroy! Was the pricing about the same as for their other frozen foods? They sound kind of like a cross between the original S&C food and Rad Cat. (I opened out last tub of Rad Cat today -- it's just a medium-sized one of chicken -- and the cats were so so so happy!)

Thanks for mentioning these, LTS3... I'll look forward to Leroy's review. :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was $11.99 for the 1 lb bag. The store didn't have any other Stella and Chewy's frozen food but did have freeze dried.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was $11.99 for the 1 lb bag. The store didn't have any other Stella and Chewy's frozen food but did have freeze dried.
Thank you, LTS3! That's very helpful: that's not far from what I was paying for Rad Cat.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for posting, LTS3 LTS3 . Looks like S&C is trying to step into the Rad Cat void. I’ll have to see if my local store carries this.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A medallion is about the size of a US half dollar, maybe a little bigger. Leroy has had half of one so far. He liked it just fine. Now we'll see if his tummy agrees :crossfingers:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A medallion is about the size of a US half dollar, maybe a little bigger. Leroy has had half of one so far. He liked it just fine. Now we'll see if his tummy agrees :crossfingers:
Thank you for the update, LTS3! I'm glad Leroy liked it and hope it agrees with his GI tract!

Also, in case anyone's interested, they use HPP on these foods. I wrote to ask and thanked them for making boneless food. Now, to see who might be selling it in the area...

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't tried it, but I hope cats that did so well on rad cat will have a good alternative.
I never fed rad cat myself but I'm still PO'ed about how things went down for that company. I think they got screwed.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also crossing my fingers that this will be a decent (or even just okay!) Rad Cat alternative. I do love (love!) the idea that this is packaged in patties, meaning no portioning. (I cook and eat meat, and don't especially like handling it but Rad Cat, especially the chicken, is so gloppy! I never failed to splatter it or chip it all over the place, depending on the consistency of what I started with. Not that I'm complaining: the cats loved the stuff and I'd do it all over again so they could eat it again. It was the best food.)

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just bought the turkey today! I was at my local store complaining that of course my picky eaters only want the Stella freeze dry and how expensive they are. I said I wished rad cat came back and he told me this was new and it was an attempted replacement for rad cat. I’m thawing now. My one cat with ibs is very hard to manage lately seems any treats I give her sets her off into the runs again. The freeze dry seems to have helped firm her up for the most part. LTS3 LTS3 how do you manage your ibs kitty? I haven’t researched yet but is anyone successfully using cbd oil for ibs?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Carleton loves the tummy ticklin' turkey freeze dried morsels so I'm anxious to see if our local pet store carries this new S&C product yet. Thanks for the tip LTS3 LTS3 :thumbsup: I'll definitely check it out.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely try this with Krista. She likes the S&C's well enough if they are freeze-dried dehydrated. The minute I rehydrate them, she's not interested. But I'm always nervous about the bone in it. I have one tub of Rad Cat left in my freezer. I didn't want to bust into until there's something she likes for when it finally runs out. If she likes this well enough, I can mix in the occasional Rad Cat meal to make that last tub go farther without having nothing for her when it's all gone.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leroy is just managed with diet now. He can eat anything but chicken. So far the Stella and Chewy's medallion is agreeing with his tummy :yess:

CBD products for pets are just supplements and most vets will not recommend them. There is very little published scientific articles on how CBD products work for pets. It's a very gray area. There are people who say that CBD "cured" whatever ailed their pet that traditional medicines failed to do. Take those claims with a grain of salt. What works for someone's pet may not work the same way for yours.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear it's agreeing with Leroy's gut, LTS3! The store I was near today didn't have it but I'll check others, I'd really love to have a decent boneless option for the cats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No idea if this a fluke or coincidence or what but Leroy had odorless poop this morning :shocked: Could it be from the one Stella and Chewy's medallion he ate on Tuesday? He didn't poop at all yesterday, which happens on occasion. He had a Primal nugget for a snack yesterday and will have one again tonight. I'll give the Stella and Chewy's another go after that. Regular meals are still NV rabbit medallions.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No idea if this a fluke or coincidence or what but Leroy had odorless poop this morning :shocked: Could it be from the one Stella and Chewy's medallion he ate on Tuesday? He didn't poop at all yesterday, which happens on occasion. He had a Primal nugget for a snack yesterday and will have one again tonight. I'll give the Stella and Chewy's another go after that. Regular meals are still NV rabbit medallions.
Wow, that's unusual, isn't it? The recipe for that food does look very decent. Crossing my fingers again for you that the food continues to work for Leroy!

I'll have to call around to see who might have this in stock here...

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I like that it doesn’t have bone but I’d be interested in knowing the phosphorus levels.

It does also seem a bit high in fat based on a rough calculation (38% protein, 57% fat, 5% carbs).

I’ll consider it as an alternative once all the Rad Cat in my freezer runs out though.