Stella and chewys calories help?

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! I realize stella and chewys freeze dried nuggets say the calories per cup but I really can't accurately measure that.. I want to find out how many calories per nugget. can someone help? I'm having a brain fart :( I know you measure dry if you're weighing.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those tiny nuggets would be pretty hard to figure out the calorie content on them. Why do u need to know? I would just feed recommended amount and go from thier on wether you think your cat needs more or less.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those tiny nuggets would be pretty hard to figure out the calorie content on them. Why do u need to know? I would just feed recommended amount and go from thier on wether you think your cat needs more or less.
I keep a daily log of my cats health what he eats and all his medication/supplements to control his disease and he is in diabetic remission but still doesn't eat enough a lot of the time. I rest easier knowing he isn't hungry and not feeling well. I am his primary vet (discussed with my boss/his vet) as his case is really complex and I need to know if X happens then X happens as a result. I also don't want him binging because he does that sometimes and makes himself really sick and then the stress causes his platelets to get really low. It's a long story. He refused his normal food today and that's usually a sign things are going south but he wanted the raw and I'm not sure if the amount of nuggets I fed him was enough.
I just wanted to know if there was a way to calculate it that's all

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It would be best to contact Stella and Chewy's to get the calorie content of each individual piece. Or maybe they know roughly how many pieces makes up a cup and you can figure out the rough calorie content of each piece from that.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
The nuggets vary in size. The chicken is 4360 kcal/kg or 4.360 kcal/g. I use a small kitchen scale to measure how much I’m feeding and multiply that many grams by 4.360. I usually feed about 50 - 60 kcal, which was 8 nuggets but this latest bag has smaller nuggets so I need to reweigh them. I’ve just been adding a few extra and it seems to work out.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The nuggets vary in size. The chicken is 4360 kcal/kg or 4.360 kcal/g. I use a small kitchen scale to measure how much I’m feeding and multiply that many grams by 4.360. I usually feed about 50 - 60 kcal, which was 8 nuggets but this latest bag has smaller nuggets so I need to reweigh them. I’ve just been adding a few extra and it seems to work out.
Exactly: the only real way to deal with this with any sort of precision is to weigh the food.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The nuggets are different sizes so the calories vary per nugget but calories per kilogram is noted on the back of the package. The Turkey, for example, is 4910 calories per kilogram. That's 4.9 calories per gram. The only way to nail it is to weigh each serving of nuggets before re-hydrating and feeding.

But... if you want to get close, grab a bunch of nuggets out of the bag and weigh them all together. Then divide by the number of nuggets that you weighed. For a large bag, I'd probably weigh 30 or 40 nuggets to get me closer to the average weight per nugget in that bag. You can figure the average calories per nugget from there. But with that, every bag is a little different. Some bags seem to have more larger nuggets than others.

At any rate, I did this with the first bag I had. The nuggets in that bag averaged out to about .8 grams per nugget (dry). That would average out to be about 3.9 calories per nugget. Again, some would be a little higher and some a little lower in calories but when all is said and done, it should be pretty close if you'd rather count nuggets rather than weigh out each serving.