Steamed Pudding Basin Size Question

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Does anyone know the average size, both in inches or centimeters AND the capacity (ounces/ML) of pudding basins that are used in many recipes? I've never used one. I once made some sort of steamed pudding in some other fashion (Crock-Pot?) many years ago, but I want to do it authentically. Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Many recipes I've seen just say to put the batter/dough into a pudding basin, but they don't state what size, or even just "small", etc.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully, you find your answer but to be the unhelpful person......

And the American members go "why would you steam pudding?" To which I say "Go to Netflix and watch British Baking Show". You're welcome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hopefully, you find your answer but to be the unhelpful person......

And the American members go "why would you steam pudding?" To which I say "Go to Netflix and watch British Baking Show". You're welcome.
I never could figure out why we call the custardy stuff "pudding"!

I want to make it as sort of a family tree joke. I posted in the Cat Lounge about my 5th great-grandmother, Mary Bateman, The Yorkshire Witch. She was a serial killer, and her weapon was poisoned puddings! I will omit the arsenic in mine, though I did warn my Mother-In-Law that I expect her to be "generous" at Christmas, if ya know what I mean...:devilish: