Steak Tartare!

RequestKen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gandalf was begging while I was doing food prep for beef stew. So I cut off a lean piece of beef, chopped it finely, and served it with a pasteurised raw egg yolk on top. Never has a plate been licked so clean :D

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's fun to watch them enjoy a healthy nutritious snack. Gandalf must have thought he was at a 5 star restaurant! :p

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes, i've done something similar with "Boy" - i sliced off a bit of sashimi salmon; he loved it!
(however, take heed....i froze this salmon for 5 days to kill all bacteria & i bought from a very reputable fishmonger.) still....i like to see him happy -- even tho' sashimi costs a fortune!

:) happy to hear your story; it brightened my day

xerxesthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello, I signed up here because I'm trying to find particular info and this thread about feeding a cat steak looked closest to my own question.

Perhaps someone can direct me to the appropriate thread, so I don't inadvertently hijack this one.

Q: I feed my cats cooked and pureed deer meat year around. Recently we went to a new vet who told us there should be "supplements" added to it. The deer is real meat, not canned unknowns, and they love it, so I do it for their own benefit as well as because we always have a surplus. So, respectfully, I'm not looking for a lecture against hunting the deer, or advice on feeding them something other than meat, like I have gotten elsewhere. I'd really appreciate a short and sweet answer to what basic vitamin supplements should necessarily be added to keep them healthy (and the easiest way to do it). thanks.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hello, I signed up here because I'm trying to find particular info and this thread about feeding a cat steak looked closest to my own question.

Perhaps someone can direct me to the appropriate thread, so I don't inadvertently hijack this one.

Q: I feed my cats cooked and pureed deer meat year around. Recently we went to a new vet who told us there should be "supplements" added to it. The deer is real meat, not canned unknowns, and they love it, so I do it for their own benefit as well as because we always have a surplus. So, respectfully, I'm not looking for a lecture against hunting the deer, or advice on feeding them something other than meat, like I have gotten elsewhere. I'd really appreciate a short and sweet answer to what basic vitamin supplements should necessarily be added to keep them healthy (and the easiest way to do it). thanks.
80% boneless meat, 10% raw ground bones (or calcium supplement), 5% liver, 5% other secreting organ (kidney, spleen, pancreas, thymus, etc.)
Supplement: Taurine, Vitamin E, Vitamin B-Complex, Lite Salt (not if feeding thyroid gland), Omega-3 supplement (fish oil or oily fish), egg yolks.

(Suggested supplements in recipes at feline-nutrition.org and catinfo.org.)

You can also use a supplement pre-mix like EZ-Complete that you just add to boneless meat. It's more expensive than adding separate supplements, but convenient.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may be able to skip the Omega-3/fish oil supplement. That is supplemented because factory-farmed meat is too high in Omega-6 with not enough O-3. Game meat like deer may have a good Omega-3/Omega-6 ratio if the deer graze on natural grass/plants (and aren't corn-fed).

Smiley-Diley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
80% boneless meat, 10% raw ground bones (or calcium supplement), 5% liver, 5% other secreting organ (kidney, spleen, pancreas, thymus, etc.)
Supplement: Taurine, Vitamin E, Vitamin B-Complex, Lite Salt (not if feeding thyroid gland), Omega-3 supplement (fish oil or oily fish), egg yolks.

(Suggested supplements in recipes at feline-nutrition.org and catinfo.org.)

You can also use a supplement pre-mix like EZ-Complete that you just add to boneless meat. It's more expensive than adding separate supplements, but convenient.
I signed up to this site because of your answer, thank-you for sharing your knowledge with us. :cool: