Staying in heat

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I am having a problem with Oreo that is driving me up the wall as well as causing her GREAT stress!!!!!!  Oreo gave birth on 5/12/12 to still born kittens following an almost fatal uterine infection.  While she has recovered great from the infection as well as having put on 6 more pounds (now is 12Ibs, was only 4 1/2 when we found her on 5/4/12).  Her vet will not spay while in heat and keeps bumping her appointment back because she is simply not going out of this cycle!  Oreo went back into heat about a week after giving birth (but in air, moving back legs back and forth when you touch her, howling, trying to get out.....)  Problem is that she is still in this "mode" and it has been over a month now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I do not know what to do?  I HAVE to spay her or she is going to drive me nuts, LOL! (not to mention the health risk for her).  I found a vet who will do a spay while she is in heat, but they charge almost $300 and that is just sooooooooo much!!!!! (other vet would only cost me $50).  Is there ANYTHING I can do to help her come out of heat (NOT willing to allow her to breed).  Is it being triggered/prolonged due to introducing Grey and her pregnant hormones?   

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any clinics/shelters in area-they have more experience with pregnant cats and in heat cats.  If you put a state/area someone may have a place to go to if willing to travel a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am in Florida, can/will go as far as Gainesville, Lake City, Live Oak or Wellborn (2 hrs any direction).  The vet hospital at the University of Florida will do it, but they charge almost $200.  I have found some places who will do it when in heat, but they are crazy expensive!  I will pay it if I have to, but sure would like to get her out of heat and be able to use the $50.00 spay program :(   Is it normal for a cat to be in heat so long?

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never heard of it, but also never looked into it.

Call the reg vets too-my local vet is only 20 more then a clinic.  The clinic is 20 minutes away x 4 for drop/pick up.  The reg vet does them one on one and alot more equipment if needed/come home within 4 hour-6 hours. 

Is the 50 thing a state run/shelter run thing?  Call and ask if so.

Hopefully someone local will have a place:)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quite normal for a cat to be in continuous call. You can't let her continuously cycle, especially as she's already had Pyo once. Get the vet to put her on the pill.

I use acupressure on mine, there's an indent either side under the tail when pressed correctly simulates mating and takes the girl off call within a day. You need to be careful as the girls will turn to swipe you, but you need to wait for her to "huff" before you let her scruff go, she'll flip and roll as when she's been with a boy.
http://www.messybeast.com/catmassage.htm  (bottom of the page)

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was a bit hesitant to recomend that cause if she has really been in heat this ENTIRE time it seems a bit different.  Usually there is a quiet period of few days and not calling.  If it has been since May I think there is something else going on.  Years ago I had some females and they would go in heat together but also come out for a bit.

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the replies!  Catallaround, you mentioned something about "having a few days of quiet" with your cats in the past.  Oreo has had some "quiet days" during this, but after only a two-three day time she is right back in heat.  I guess I just do not know what a normal cycle is and how long it lasts.  Problem is that every time she has the appointment t be spayed she is showing signs and the vet will not do it. 

I have contact every vet I could find on-line, phone book and by word of mouth in regards to inquiring about fees and if they spay an in heat female.  I even had one vet tell me to go breed her just to get her out of heat and then to spay her soon after.  Problem is I do not allow my cats outdoors and do not know anyone with an intact male cat let alone my concern for how violent the matting can be!!  The clinic/low cost option is the only one like that, all the others are regular vet offices.  I found several that will do a spay while in heat, but all of them are $200 or more!!  I may just have to deal and fork over the dough to go ahead and get her done.  I see how much this takes out of her, the non-stop meowing, always acting like she is wanting to be mated (even to the point of rubbing her lady area on your leg/arm/shoe/furniture).  Oreo is always "chirping" at us andI think it may be because she is a talkative cat, but she also has a very distinct howl she does if you touch her back near her tail (can not pet her past her neck or upper back without her "taking the position). 

I will try the recommended pressure point method to see if I can help her cycle. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Think you need to ebe discussing a short course of Ovaride (Megestrol Acetate) to get her out of heat so she can be spayed.

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I will phone the vet today to inquire about it!

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oreo has finally gone out of heat, I can get her spayed now!  Grey gave birth to four kittens yesterday and Oreo immediately started treating them like they were her kittens.  She is helping Grey to clean them, potty them and when Grey goes to eat/drink or potty Oreo gets in and lays with hem till Grey comes back.  The kittens are never left alone because one of them is always with them, LOL!  Oreo is not showing any indication of being in heat today, I can pet her all over with no "response" of raising but, howling or taking the position!!  I have the appointment scheduled for Friday (cross my fingers she will stay this way till then).