Static in winter

Aki's mom

Owned by four tabbies
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have a tabby tom with a deep pile coat who always gets very static-y in winter here in Illinois. Every time Yuri rubs on me he gets zapped, and when I pet him I can feel and even hear the static crackling under my hand.

We have a big humidifier in the living room so the humidity there is usually over 50%, but we don't have the space in the bedrooms to set up more humidifiers there. We've replaced his favorite blankets/beds with cotton ones, too, and only use a metal brush on him.

I've read online that cat wipes can help with dry skin/static - does anyone have some experience with them and/or can recommend a good brand? I'm hesitant to put anything on his fur that might be harmful when he grooms himself. Input greatly appreciated!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. A spray bottle of water to just slightly mist your hands will stop the static - which is also useful for misting his brush with as well. And most any wipes that are unscented and hypoallergenic can be used on Aki too. I have used GNC's brand that I buy from PetSmart, but there are tons of similar products at pet stores and online alike.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aki's mom

Owned by four tabbies
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for these great ideas, it never even occurred to me that I could mist Yuri's brush, too! And I'm glad to hear you've had positive experiences with the wipes. Thank you!

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your boy is so cute! Similar recommendation -- sometimes I pet my cat with a damp paper towel to remove the crackly static. :petcat:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm all too familiar with the midwest winter months which is why we had a humidifier installed on our furnace. I have to say it really helps reduce the static electricity in the house.

AndyTilt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This was a fantastic find. Thank you everyone. I have a really fluffly boy at home, and I keep accidentally shocking his nose when in the winter. Needless to say he is not a fan of that.