Static Electricity

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With the weather getting colder around here, I'm using blankets more. Just turning over generates static electricity. My kitten likes to cuddle and get pets before she falls asleep, but I keep shocking her when I try! She isn't a fan and I don't want her to think I'm doing it on purpose! Do I just need something metal nearby to touch right before petting her? Does any one else have this problem?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Living up north here, we get static from everything in the winter, even if the humidifier is running. The cats deal with it with no problem. I just try to minimize it as much as I conveniently can.

They'll love you no matter how electrifying it is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't want to get lotion on her. And she doesn't appreciate coconut oil when I use that.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love humidifiers with just water, no smelly additives. We put ours in a small dog kennel until the group learned it was steam don't try to sniff it.

When we were kids the adults told us that touching a mirror would take the static off your hands. It was also supposed to take the static off of your hair brush (my hair did the Bride of Frankenstein in the winter.) In my experience it worked. You might keep a hand mirror by the bed and touch it before pets. Easy enough to put it back in the drawer if it doesn't work for you.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, this is probably unappealing, but I lightly spit in my palm and then pet the cat. H2O means no static.
Or you can get your hands damp some other way....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, this is probably unappealing, but I lightly spit in my palm and then pet the cat. H2O means no static.
Or you can get your hands damp some other way....
I like that idea! I usually take showers before bed and my hair will be a little damp, I can probably use that!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering if anyone has see the static electricity in the dark? I have and in our case it's green Is that the only color it comes in?