Staple Gun Aficionados

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another scratch post update!
@weebeasties, susanm9006 susanm9006 , Furballsmom Furballsmom , @Winchester, N NY cat man

I alerted all of you because you had mentioned that you liked that MCM cat fabric a lot (it's linked in the first post), or else you had good input for me regarding staple guns. I wanted to let you know how I used that cat fabric in a project yesterday!
(I think we're only allowed five "Mentions" per post, so apologies to those who did not get alerted.) :hugs:

So I decided to disassemble and salvage the good parts of that old blue-carpeted scratch post I show in my previous post. I still had those two pieces of minky fabric with the pattern of mid-century modern black kitties in chairs. I used one minky to cover the old carpeted base, then reattached the now sisal-free post back onto the base. With some extra fabric as padding and the minky carefully wrapped over that, I then stapled those onto the bare post. I also used a piece of an old t-shirt with a matching color as the "topper" for the post (the old blue carpeting that was there was in bad shape; I had to cover it!). The hand drill and staple gun had already gotten a lot of use and I wasn't done yet! Then I had to get the sisal positioned and secured. For that, I only used two screws --long ones, deep into the pole--, one at the start of the sisal rope, one at the end of the sisal rope. It was hard to tightly wrap that sisal by myself but I somehow did it. Yay! And all this on my kitchen counter, sheesh.
:thumbsup:

I'm pretty happy with the result but Milly misses her pheromones that were on the old, decrepit sisal! But I threw those disintegrating bits out. The refurbished, 20-year post still has some of the sisal from the old post but she hasn't gone to town scratching a lot on it yet. I only finished this late yesterday afternoon, though, so I'm hoping she'll scratch it soon. Cross your fingers she uses it! I do think she likes the soft minky fabric on the base, for sure.

3 photos for you :)

Milly-ScratchPost-16JUL2019-a.jpg

Milly-ScratchPost-16JUL2019-b.jpg

Milly-ScratchPost-16JUL2019-c.jpg

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another scratch post update!
@weebeasties, susanm9006 susanm9006 , Furballsmom Furballsmom , @Winchester, N NY cat man

I alerted all of you because you had mentioned that you liked that MCM cat fabric a lot (it's linked in the first post), or else you had good input for me regarding staple guns. I wanted to let you know how I used that cat fabric in a project yesterday!
(I think we're only allowed five "Mentions" per post, so apologies to those who did not get alerted.) :hugs:

So I decided to disassemble and salvage the good parts of that old blue-carpeted scratch post I show in my previous post. I still had those two pieces of minky fabric with the pattern of mid-century modern black kitties in chairs. I used one minky to cover the old carpeted base, then reattached the now sisal-free post back onto the base. With some extra fabric as padding and the minky carefully wrapped over that, I then stapled those onto the bare post. I also used a piece of an old t-shirt with a matching color as the "topper" for the post (the old blue carpeting that was then was in bad shape; I had to cover it!). The hand drill and staple gun had already gotten a lot of use and I wasn't done yet! Then I had to get the sisal positioned and secured. For that, I only used two screws --long ones, deep into the pole--, one at the start of the sisal rope, one at the end of the sisal rope. It was hard tightly wrapping that sisal by myself but I somehow did it. Yay! And all this on my kitchen counter, sheesh.
:thumbsup:

I'm pretty happy with the result but Milly misses her pheromones that were on the old, decrepit sisal! But I threw those disintegrating bits out. The refurbished, 20-year post still has some of the sisal from the old post but she hasn't gone to town scratching a lot on it yet. I only finished this late yesterday afternoon, though, so I'm hoping she'll scratch it soon. Cross your fingers she uses it! I do think she likes the soft minky fabric on the base, for sure.

3 photos for you :)

View attachment 292748

View attachment 292749

View attachment 292750
Nicely done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! :sunshine::sunshine::sunshine:

The more I look at that scratch post, though, the more I think the fabric would be really fun for pajamas instead. :rolleyes2: