Staple Gun Aficionados

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are going to reupholster some dining room chairs, not a major job -- but I need a new staple gun as the cheapo one I got a few decades ago broke.
~I am trying to talk Mr. Pushpurr into this fabric, but he wants something "calmer"~
Colorful fabrics digitally printed by Spoonflower - '60s cats and chairs

I was wondering if any of you have discovered a favorite manual staple gun you like a lot? Performance, comfort, hard to use, whether or not the staples jam frequently?

I was looking on this page,
The Best Manual Staple Guns of 2018 | Staple Gun Reviews

and I wonder if there is a huge difference in ease-of-use and comfort between the Bostitch and the DeWalt?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Question why you would want to go with a manual. Electric staplers aren’t expensive, you can buy staples of all lengths for them and if you are doing a lot of work, much easier in your hand.

They even sell staplers that do short brads as well as staples. While you don’t need that for upholstery it does come in handy for other things.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Swingline heavy-duty manual stapler that I use where there is no power available, and I've had it for around 30 years or so. I also have a Stanley power stapler that I use for everything else. The Stanley will take staples or brads.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Swingline heavy-duty manual stapler that I use where there is no power available, and I've had it for around 30 years or so. I also have a Stanley power stapler that I use for everything else. The Stanley will take staples or brads.
Agreeing with Stanley. I mean, agreeing with N NY cat man about Stanley.
Oh, you know what I mean.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
lol
I love the fabric, but can you convince him if you get new drapes to match one of the cooler colors used for the chairs? I can't weigh in about the stapler brands though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Swingline heavy-duty manual stapler that I use where there is no power available, and I've had it for around 30 years or so. ...
30 years! The one I had that bit the dust was a swingline but it must have been a 'light-duty' one.

I think I'm leaning towards one of the two I mention above because they have rubber grips.

( weebeasties weebeasties - Yea, I love that fabric! It brings a smile to my face, which is much needed lately! I think I'm going to buy a few 'fat quarters' of it in a minky fabric and scatter them around on Milly's donut beds. Maybe Mr. Pushpurr will start to warm up to that pattern when he sees it in person. Drapes, here we come!)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:agree:

I haven't bee to your she-shed thread in a while... I better revisit and get updated!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
update: So, slowly all the items are being shipped to me. I got the Bostitch staple gun. Turns out the samples I ordered of the cats-in-mod-chairs fabric pattern I mention in the OP are much bluer in tone than I like (and Mr. PushPurr still thinks the pattern is too "busy" anyway).

Milly-29May2019.jpg

Putting our heads together, we decided on doing two dining chairs with this,
Colorful fabrics digitally printed by Spoonflower - Springing Floral ~ Persephone ~ Linen Luxe

and the other two dining chairs with this,
Colorful fabrics digitally printed by Spoonflower - Persephone Linen Luxe

I did get the velvet upholstery fabric for the chair seats & it has arrived, but the printed colors are a bit yellower than I'd like on the velvet than if I use a minky fabric or a cotton twill fabric. So I might have to reorder with different fabrics.

If anyone is interested, I'll post the finished chairs when done (?)

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice job. As I once heard, it's not the tools that matter, it's the person using them that counts.
:blush:

Well, all I can say is that I am glad I updated my tetanus vaccination in December... there were a few snafus getting the old staples out with the old covers we had previously used on the chairs. ouch. lol

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Things getting a little out of control here.

Milly has been refusing a new scratch post we got for her. Her favorite little one, a hand-me-down from my last kitty:angel3:, is falling apart. I have to drape a piece of fabric over the side where the sisal is falling off and shedding everywhere. She loves this thing. The carpet on the top of the post is disintegrating, too.
Milly-JUN2019-f.jpg

This is the new scratch post:
Milly-JUN2019-d.jpg

Milly's stink-eye over it:
Milly-JUN2019-a.jpg Milly-JUN2019-b.jpg

So :confused:, I found a small board, added some cushioning, and covered with the matching fabric. Screwed this to the top platform of new scratcher:
Milly-JUN2019-e.jpg

She's only slightly more interested in the new scratcher :dunno:
Maybe a lightening of her mood:
Milly-JUN2019-c.jpg

So far, she hasn't used the new post to scratch, just sits on top of it.
:rolleyes3:
(I know I can replace some sisal and carpeting on her old one, but really, the thing is SOOO old. I was hoping to switch her to a nicer one.)